A General Guide to mPCIe plugs, communications, and devices?

This thread may turn into something else later in pairing with the L1 Laptop Reclaim Project. It will be informal to what the point of extending a laptop past being a laptop is and the relevancy in the future as I see it, as well as a little “Right To The User” manifesto that I kinda follow.

Is there a general guide to edge connectors, chipsets, cpu hops, and other related info when it comes to mPCIe devices?

I am getting some clearer headspace now that I physically have some space to myself and I had this occur to me. Is there a general guide to this? I have been enjoying my GDP EXP BEAST PRO dock and all its capabilities, and surprised by how effective my X230T can be for just gaming alone. Playing Tarkov on this thing is… well intense. The small screen def increases the anxiety factor.

But I have been learning with it too. So the mPCIe connector is 2x2, whereas the expresscard connector is 1x1. In some cases it can be 2x2 with some workstation laptop chipsets, such as the first business grade laptops / toughbooks with xeons, however I think the cable is still 1x1. So you probably want a monitor so you don’t stuff the connection with recalls and sending stuff back thru to be displayed. NGFF (IE pcie 4x4 in an even smaller connector) lets you put this dock to almost any machine. I’ve been looking at thin clients the last week and a half for that reason lol. ESP havin a van I live out of in the warm seasons (with a tv, lol).

For now though, I am only playing with mPCIe and a thinkpad (and some other machines, experimentally. Netbook post coming soon [need to buy some cables as replacements]). But I am thinking about SSD’s, wireless cards, and really documenting the capabilities of different items and models. Not only for my sake, but for other peoples use. This could lead to nefarious things, I realize, and for that I am not responsible. But this would include, for instance, capabilities of different wifi chipsets in the field, different SSD’s and drives / drive controllers, radios, and if possible, accelerators, if such a thing were to exist.

As well, I’m thinking about pins. Missing pins on a x16 usually means its X8 but it could be X4, or theres a function that was removed, or something else. How to ID that and what is wanted. If you’re building a laptop for grandma you probably don’t need a tri band chipset with 4 different monitor modes, dual packet caches, and all sortsa dumbshit. You could probs get a 7620 and call it good. But if you want to build a router, or a range extender or something, with a wifi router and a atom based netbook for use in a vehicle, whether for rebroadcast of a camp wifi spot or capture and mitm based work, still have a guide for how to ID good parts.

ATM though I just wanna know where to find that sorta info. Wikipedia is ok, but will techpowerup suffice? I want to dig into expresscard, mpcie, and ngff respectively, and be able to show flaws, mistakes, fakes, pros, cons, features, etc. Like one of those graphs for a family of CPU’s on wikipedia but for generically whatever hardware I manage to find.

In the future this could also extend to modular devices in general, and how to put what together for what in what fashion. So like get this router cuz its 15 bucks on ebay, replace the wifi chip inside with a better one since its socketed, flash with ddwrt, etc etc etc. I have a lotta info like that in my head I want dumped out so I’m not thinking about it all the time. Damn ADHD @,@

Might as well be called anxiety depression and hypersensitivity disorder good grief.

HMU fam

2 Likes