A Drop-In CUDA Implementation Built On ROCm

So this just released, allowing cuda to run on AMD hardware without code changes.

Hows the performance for existing appliations? as it could be interesting for science and video editoring software.

1 Like

Would be huge for De-Noising in Davinci resolve (yay, 3 FPS without CUDA)

Interesting story that Intel and AMD both sponsored the solo dev initially, but both pulled out later

Given that this requires ROCm 5.7, what are the odds I get this working on Ubuntu 22.04 with the 6.5 HWE kernel and a 7900XTX?

My initial attempts earlier today were a bit rushed as I was busy constantly, but I was unable to get ROCm 5.7 installed at all.

This guide has help me install ML packages before, Ubuntu jammy is supported too.

2 Likes

I also wrote a guide for ROCm and popular AGI software through Distrobox (containerized environments) which should be distribution agnostic. It’s a few months old but should still work.

https://habla.news/a/naddr1qqxnzd3ex56rwvfexvurxwfjqgsfam9gjjew3qcwqhkgdax3r80yzx3d6w4uke2jtkmfcjr0ftl93qsrqsqqqa28vfwv5f

As for the project I’ll definitely try it with CUDA-only stuff that gave me a hard time to run in the past such as TortoiseTTS.

1 Like

Factoring in compute differences of AMD, your mileage is still going to vary as Adobe like Davinci Resolve offloads encoding to NVENC so CUDA is only a small part of the encoding puzzle. Science stuff that leans on floating point the performance per watt on AMD drops off on the memory bus, HBM Radeon series had been the closest AMD had gotten.

Before they sponsored the dev, their OpenAPI stuff had been going on(Intel Compute Stick/Compute PCIe cards) so its more than likely an internal project beat it on the funding side.
CUDA on AMD or Intel GPUs is still a mixed bag due to I/O differences, heck an Arc GPU barely reaches an RTX 3060 if pushed on heavy CUDA stuff but for medical imaging its fairly on par to an AMD Radeon Pro of a similar gen.

1 Like

Encoding (for export) depending on format, supports AMD and Nvidia.
The issue that makes me swap my 5700xt for the RTX 4000 for projects that need it is denoising performance. 3 FPS without CUDA, 40-ish with CUDA.
In-Progress system build will hold both AMD and the 4000 because raw crunch :slight_smile:

Filtering of any type is still CUDA, been hitting the brick wall on Intel Arc and also learned you need a dummy display adapter if you attempt to use a 2nd GPU headless.