A curated list of amazing open source software you may have not heard of

I recently moved to Thunderbird as my desktop mail client. No contest with Outlook, it’s so good, so fast, everything I could’ve hoped for and more! Though there’s just one thing I’m not used to anymore that Thunderbird does: replies to emails always spawn a new window. And the plugins to get the new “thread replies” are not that good in my opinion.

People are sleeping on Thunderbird and paying for email clients, so dumb.

2 Likes

On that note, seems good ole Thunderbird desktop isnt on the list yet!

[Linux, Windows, MacOS]

5 Likes

Added KiCad.

OpenStreetMap: Alternative to google maps or apple maps.

That’s more of a webapp, but there are many OSM front-end flavors to choose from.

My recommendation would be OsmAnd [Android, iOS], which is available for Android on F-droid and Google Play, and Apple appstore:

GPLv3:

Disclaimer: I have only tried OSMAnd, but perhaps one might prefer a different of the many available front ends. Comparisons:

Android: Comparison of Android applications - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Apple: iOS - OpenStreetMap Wiki

3 Likes

And on that note, perhaps F-Droid [Android] itself could be included as an alternative to the play store:

GPLv3:

1 Like

Great app, I use it for road trips. One word of caution for US users, the address look up isn’t optimized for US postal addresses nor is it always accurate. I find that using GPS coordinates are much better

Also posted about it too

1 Like

Going to throw in Prusaslicer, Inkscape, and Pinta.

Prusaslicer: a really excellent 3d printer slicer that work with more than Prusaslicer printers. Available for Linux, Windows, BSD and Mac.

Inkscape: Vector image editor. On Mac, Linux, Windows, BSD and someone potted it to ChromeOS.

Pinta: Image painting program like MS Paint. On Linux, Mac, Windows and BSD.

https://www.pinta-project.com/

1 Like

I wanted to reduce the number of google apps I have on my phone, so I replaced gmail with K9mail. Originally I used fairemail, but the appearance and inbox was to jarring. K9mail had a closer design to stock gmail, so I opted for k9mail

I also replaced google calendar with

but this calendar app does have native support with google calendar to sync events (meetings from work calendar).

The calendar app suggested this app. After granting it all the needed permissions, I signed in with my account

1 Like

As part of this google minimalism, I wanted a way to sync my listening history to YouTube music for song suggestions, but didn’t want to install sign into google on my phone. Also I couldn’t use my music container tab in Firefox because Firefox does not support container tabs on mobile

This app allows me to use youtube music with webview

This is similar, if you want ammoled black

If you don’t care about syncing listening history

You can use this app, it’s similar to spmp, but it will suggest you songs and track listening histoy locally without a google account

1 Like

50+ posts in and no Tailscale?

It’s not the scam-type vpn that nord & co sell to idiots, but an open-source (mostly) free (mostly) peer to peer mesh VPN for your devices and computers and whatever.

6 Likes

Also Wireguard that it runs over

3 Likes

not sure it was mentioned already, but the standard unix password manager https://www.passwordstore.org/ is awesome, especially with the otp plugin.

1 Like

Added:

• Inkscape
  • Tailscale
  • WireGuard
  • pass
  • Karabiner-Elements
  • F-Droid
  • DAVx⁵
  • Etar Calendar
  • SpMp
  • SimpMusic
  • InnerTune
  • Open Street Map
3 Likes

Not an app, but an opensource service that you can run on your docker or server.

demo:
https://app.actualbudget.com/budget

WinSCP: sometimes I need to ssh into something and manage some files. this makes that simpler by providing a file explorer GUI to do SFTP stuff.

Windows only. I wonder if there a WinSCP equivalent for Linux…

1 Like

between linux hosts, I just sftp in the file browser (Caja by choice)
sftp://user@ip-or-hostname:ssh-port/absolute/path/to/storeage

sftp://[email protected]:22/home/user-home-directory/

or a dedicated file browser like Filezilla, or some kind of Midnight Commander or whatever it was

3 Likes

Syncthing. I use syncthing to keep pictures, documents, etc synchronised between my home server, laptop, mobile.

https://syncthing.net/

2 Likes

Filezilla supports SFTP and FTPS. I just use that.

2 Likes

I see a lot of reports of filezilla having Malware. You must not be having any problems with it?

Been using it for years here.

1 Like