9600GT - Black Screen Of Death

Hi people. This is my first post. Actually been having lots of troubles for some time with my 9600GT.

Whenever i run games like Crysis, after 2-5 mins, i get the BSOD, sound loops and i need to restart my pc manually. I noticed that the prob occurs around 64-66 degrees celsius. I have not yet found a solution. Here's my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHZ
Windows Vista Business OEM
Inno 3D Geforce 9600GT..... Idle Temp: 44 degrees celsius. Temp rises very quickly
3gb ram
PSU 305W(not 350W)
250 gb HDD

Can anyone advise me what to do?? I have no idea. One day i opened the case and blew a fully-powered fan and temp remained around 53 degrees.So i played endlessly. But what now?? Please help me!!!!!!!!!

Edit 1: I bought everything from Dell. Bought the 9600GT separately.

Have you downloaded EVGA Precision and cranked up the fan speed already?

Not really heating issue. A 9600 GT can handle more than 65 degrees.
Its your power supply. 305W can't handle anything. A 9600 GT requires at least a 400-450W(On inno3d's site, it says your 9600 GT needs at least 450W, with a 12V @ 30Amps). When you start playing games, your 9600 GT will go to max load and consume a lot of power, and since your power supply is only 305, it can't produce the amount of power your computer demands, therefore leading to a crash.

^ that sums it up. Get a good 500-watt one for a good price.

yup definitely power supply, get a 600 watt so you can upgrade without issue.

That post is loaded with bullshit to it's knees.

My friend runs my former 9800gtx+ on a 300w psu and plays crysis perfectly fine

That post is loaded with bullshit to it's knees.

My friend runs my former 9800gtx+ on a 300w psu and plays crysis perfectly fine

i do not beleive that 300 watts will run a 9800 gtx, because i run a 9600 gso with 768mb gddr2 and a 400 watt hardly cuts it.

A good 350w is better than a crappy 550W PSU.

my dells running that exact card and only using the dells 350 watt stock power supply.
no problem.

wow, im shocked. but with what cpu?

crappy/generic powersupplies vary greatly in quality. that's why they're so crappy.

Thanks for your replies guys. But i still have a question. If the prob is with the psu, how do you explain that when i blow a fully-powered fan directly to the 9600GT, i can play endlessly. Also, i on gpureview.com, it says that the 9600GT requires only abt 95W at full load.

Here's the link http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-9600-GT-card-557.html

And i don't have any other components except the usual stuffs, i.e, 1 HDD, 1 DVD-RW etc....

Well.. that explains it. its too hot... Turn fan on 100%?

When i turn fan @ 100%, either the temp remains the same or it increases. Yeah that's true. I tried it on rivatuner but either it stays the same or increases!!!!!

try RMAing it, i know its a pain in the ass but it may fix your issue.

try RMAing it, i know its a pain in the ass but it may fix your issue.