8x 8GB SAS 12 GB/s HDDs

I have the opportunity to purchase 8x 8GB SAS 12GB/s HDDs but i am having trouble connecting them to my PC

I have asked some friends to help me out checking first if the drive actually work, one friend has a sas 3GB's server but the drives would not work.

I bought this http://www.raidsonic.de/products/internal_cases/backplanes/index_en.php?we_objectID=1150
the drive lights showed the HDD's were on, but when I connected the SATA Cables to my motherboard the drives would not show up (The motherboard is SATA )

I am building a server at the moment but am having memory issues and is not working yet (Asus tech support takes 2 days to reply to an email)

I need to know what hardware I need to check if these drives are working and once I know that I can buy them and workout how I am going to get them in a RAID array later, please help

The the motherboard have support for the sas protocol?
Sas controllers will typically support sata drives, but sata controllers don't support sas drives.

So you probably want to get yourself a sas hba

1 Like

Yes I was thinking of getting the ASUS Pike II raid card, this is SAS 12GB 's if the Pike card and the HDD's are working will the drives show up 100% ?

Eight 8GB drives?
A total of 64GB?
8GB 12GB/s SAS drives? I didn't know they made them that small.

Frankly, this is a waste of money on all fronts. By the time you are done with everything, you could buy a small PCIe SSD that'd run rings around those SAS drives. Plus enterprise stuff can be a real pain in the ass.

I'd recommend not doing it.

Nope, the mobo won't see them as it is only doing sata.

Occasionally you may need to swap sas ports to get the drives to show up. I cave that issue Shan install and adding new drives.

yes 8 X 8GB SAS Drives total of 64GB

I don't see why I would want a pcie ssd to boot linux I have a 128GB SATA SSD, doing this for storage and not speed,

I want storage lots of it and I can get these drives pretty cheap of my buddy, I have the following server

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz Ten-Core
ASUS Z9PA-U8 Workstation Motherboard
16GB DDR3 EEC RAM
128GB Sandisk SSD SATA
Linux Mint 18.1

Correct me if I am wrong all i need is an SAS 12GB/s Controller card to make these drives into a 32TB RAID 1 Array, I don't care about speed or performance so I don't need a SSD Cache or anything fancy like that

DAMM Sorry 8 x 8TB for a total of 64TB (Terra Byte)

Sorry for the confusion guys my Dyslexia is playing up today

OK Terrabytes sounds more reasonable. Wow.

and you'll need 2 of these unless you have this sort of stuff