7950x: I want 4x32GB unless it sucks, does it suck?

This is excellent to know I wasn’t sure if 2x16 GB corsair vengeance would be good enough since I want to do coding as well as a gaming windows VM but I think hearing the issues with higher memory counts it’s good and if I need to change in the future by then another 32 GB of vengeance should probably not be crazy.

Secondary and tertiary timings had an immense impact on stability back in the Ryzen 1 days.

Anyone remember the Stilt’s timings? These would allow high frequency DDR4 clocks on Zen 1 using B-die even in situations where looser timings would crash.

Sadly, I don’t have the time or more importantly the setup to tease similar timing presents out.

Edit: Frzn. IIRC. Try raising your TREF. When you run 4 sticks of dual ranks you need a higher TREF than standard.

Thanks I will try this next. I’ve just seen some of the stilts timings and his tref / tref ns times are ~12480 / 7800, compared to my 8960 / 3895 I’ll just go as a stab in the dark and try to match those even though everything else is completely different but I can work from there.

I also got a small nugget of information from buildzoid, and it matches my experience, 1T / geardown mode are automatically adjusted depending on other settings so its unlikely I’ll be able to directly adjust it in the bios.

It could be as simple as if the secondary timings aren’t even numbers then geardown mode is disabled and 2T is used. I haven’t tested this idea yet.

4600cl39 cachemem
trying higher tREFI

Odd number tertiary timings didn’t make it 2T anyway. So I’m not sure how I was getting GDM off and 2T mode on with that previous 3600CL30-29-29-29 profile.

4600 with high tREFI seems stable

CL36 not stable

4800 just isn’t testmem5 stable at all unfortunately. I will keep the high tREFI on 4600 though.

Did some windows 11 debloating so I’d presume that’s some of the reason my latency is in the region of low 80ns rather than the previous high 90s.

Going to settle on this for now. I went from 1.25 to 1.29v to get it 1 hour stable on testmem5. Might have been the rREFI increase or possibly it had been memtest64 stable but not TM5 extreme anta777 stable

So the current aida score is this. I will try CL38 tomorrow

Thanks for the info, at the time I’ve searched for updates and only found the one I use. I wonder why they removed it :smiley:

Was it not stable?

I ended up having to go down to 4800 to not get memory errors, but it’s been very nice since:

Nothing fancy except loading the DOCP profile (6000MHz) then changing the frequency down to 4800.

With 4 sticks of DDR5-6000 CL32 it’ll boot at 5200, but doesn’t pass memory tests until I go down to 4800. This looks in line with most other people, probably didn’t need to get the 6000 kits :confused:

nice. What is your memory voltage?

I can’t get close to that while stable. I pass memtest64 with some configurations but fail testmem5 anta777 extreme settings with anything above what I have set in my previous screenshot.

I thought the memory controller would be the bottleneck but it seems like your better memory has made a good difference.

You could try with power down mode disabled, that made a difference for me, so it’s possible it could help you.

your 4800CL32 is a decent increase over my 4600CL40.

DDR Voltage 1.4V:

It’s this GSKILL Kit: F5-6000J3238G32GX2-TZ5K 6000 CL32-38-38-96 1.40V

1 Like

There’s also an interesting comparison point here with the new EPYC Zen4 processors using DDR5-4800.

thanks sharing your efforts!
The situation with 4 dimms on AM5 sucks badly, even my ZEN+ TR System has better Timings with 8 dimms.

I’ll wait another 3-4 months, maybe SK Hynix will bring 48GB dimms.

1 Like

I have the exact same g skill ram, at 128Gb, with 7950x but a different motherboard (Asrock Taichi x670e) but with these settings and 1.4v I can’t get past the windows logo unfortunately…. Would you have any idea? At 4000 I can but not higher…

go to the boards manufacturers site, find yours, click on the support tab, go through the available bio’s
also check the forum of your manufacturer to see if there are any issue’s with the newer bios’s.
if not update to the one that gives the latest ram support.

also when updating your bios make sure you don’t also have to satisfy firmware requirements.
sometimes you have to update firmware on amd chipsets to get full bios support before you can install a newer bios.

Hi, hoping you guys can help a little bit, not too familiar with memory overclocking and so what voltage I can push etc.

I have a Ryzen 7950X on an Asus Prime X670-P, trying to run 128GB of RAM, not overclocking at all, I just want a stable system (could not afford a Threadripper unfortunately).

My system can pass a memtest but fails when I give it my real workload, or a Prime95 run.

I’m running 4 sticks of 32GB Corsair 5600 CL40, I don’t need super low latency, I just need the RAM capacity. It was extremely unstable with the auto tuned memory, I’ve got it more stable to pass memtest by applying the EXPO 1 parameter to set the timings, and reduced the frequency back down to 3600, and increasing the voltage up to 1.27 (Memory says 1.25), but it still fails Prime95 test.

Any help would be appreciated - I’m considering changing this mobo (I have latest bios) to one from MSI (have in current system, been running 3930K overclocked for ~10 years) and hope would be more stable?

I really need rock solid RAM here - I don’t think Zen 4 supports ECC, and if I can make it fail in 5 mins of Prime95 FFT but not a memtest (30 hours) - I can’t trust this machine as my workstation.

you have a jdec for 2400 cas 40. i would try that set of timings with 1.25v-1.3.

check which ic’s for ram chips you have before going higher, as reddit is showing some chips are blowing when 1.4+ volts are being used.

Thanks I will try that - looks like Samsung modules are used, so I will be sure not to go higher than like 1.28 on the voltage.

Would I leave all the other Tr parameters as default from the EXPO?

Could you disable all you’ve done in ryzen master and then reset your BIOS settings to defaults and then apply the EXPO setting and just drop the memory speed to 3600 and see if you are stable.

You could possibly have applied a CPU overclock in ryzen master without knowing and that might be what is unstable

Have you tried different BIOS versions? Looks like 1.11.AS06[Beta] is latest on the ASRock site.

Have you tried running just with 2 modules populated at DDR5-6000? That was an interesting comparison for me, since it worked properly. If you can get this to work, you should try lowering the speed to DDR5-4800, then adding back in the 2 modules so all 4 are there.

Hi! I’ve been trying to reproduce your results with similar kits, but could not really get close to your frequency/timing without erroring out. I’ve been using TestMem5 with anta777’s ABSOLUT config. I have the following so far:

• G.SKILL F5-6400J3239G32GX2-TZ5RK, Hynix (unknown die), stable at DDR5-4600 CL40-39-39-74 1.1V
  • G.SKILL F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR, Hynix (unknown die), stable at DDR5-4600 CL40-39-39-74 1.1V
  • Corsair CMT64GX5M2B5600C40, Hynix M-Die, stable at DDR5-4600 CL40-40-40-77 1.25V
  • Corsair CMT64GX5M2X5600C40, Hynix M-Die, stable at DDR5-4600 CL40-40-40-77 1.25V

The timings may be tightened a bit, but the 4600 frequency seems like a brick wall. Note that in my case, increasing voltages on the kits (without simultaneously tightening the timing) contribute detrimentally to the stability, and doesn’t help in achieving higher frequencies. My results corroborate @frzn’s testing above.

On my end, the difference between the better G.SKILL kits and the Corsair kits is that the former can achieve DDR5-4600 with a lower frequency and tighter timing, but neither is able to do a stable 4800.

For your reference, my system config is as follows:

• Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme (BIOS 0805)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X

Attached are the screenshots from ZenTimings and AIDA64 memory benchmark on F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR. The tests were done on a stock Windows 11 with memory integrity off.

gskill_60_4600_1.1_benchmark

2 Likes

Odd, why are you running the G.SKILL F5-6400J3239G32GX2-TZ5RK and F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR kits at 1.1V?

Both their XMP profiles are for DDR5-6000 or 6400 are at 1.4V, this is the voltage that is applied to mine when I load DOCP for DDR5-6000, and the only setting I need to change to get 4 sticks stable is the frequency down to 4800.