75Hz v-sync tearing in movies: AMD APU (4600G/5600G/Radeon Vega, Linux/Ubuntu/Gnone)

Gidday!

What’s the issue:

• persistent ugly vsync-like tearing during video playback, despite lots of things i’ve tried

What i did:

• I’ve downgraded from an RTX 3070 + 144Hz ASUS Gsync monitor
  • to an AMD APU + 75Hz Adaptive-/FreeSync monitor
  • logic dictates, it’d be more convenient to not be homeless, and maintain financial liquidity / pay rent ← those desires outweigh the fancy of high spec hardware sigh :sweat_smile:

What i got:

My setup is:

• AMD APU 5600G, Zen3 + Radeon Vega (7)
  • ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus mobo
  • 2GB DDR4-3200 CL14 shared VRAM
  • Ubuntu 22.10, Gnome, Xorg session
  • MPV player, playing 23.976fps video, HEVC/265 codec, mkv container
  • Lenovo C27-35 monitor, via HDMI, at 72 / 75Hz, 1080p, landscape mode, primary
  • multi monitor, + an old Dell E2210H, via DP-to-HDMI dongle to HDMI-to-DVI adaptor, 60Hz, portrait mode sidecar, 1080(1920)p

What i expected:

• the same, flawless experience i’ve observed with the 3070 and the 144Hz monitor - just, you know, at 75Hz
  • the same, flawless experience i’ve observed in Windows 10pro, with the current/downgraded setup ← I KNOW, it’s feasible, it’s just a software/configuration problem (i’m fairly certain)
  • yes, same hardware; 75Hz, same video file, using VLC (i’m not paying 99€ct for HEVC/265 support in Windows Media Player - VLC it is - i don’t even like WMP)

What i’ve tried, so far:

• i’ve set my monitor to an evenly divisible refresh rate of 72Hz - the issue persists! (i know, 72Hz is not evenly divisible by 23.976fps, either) …none of the options are evenly divisible! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
  • i’ve tried using an actual PCIe graphics card, an R7 260X (Bonaire) - had to enable CSM in UEFI/BIOS - same result, though.
  • i’ve tried running MPV with the --video-sync=display-resample parameter - didn’t help
  • i’ve tried running VLC, with most of the video output options - didn’t help
  • VLC actually continued to deliver worse results than MPV, in Linux (remember, it’s flawless in Windows)

What am i, now? Am i stuck with sith vsync?

HOW did YOU solve this issue?

I KNOW it’s “just” a software / configuration issue …we just need to find the proper settings …i mean, it wörks in Windows …we just need to figure it out …it’s not a hardware bug (edit: as far as i can tell)