$700 Budget Programming Build

Budget. How much are you willing to spend?
$700

Where do you live (what country, don't post specific details), and what currency do you use?
US $

Is there a retailer you prefer?
Whatever's cheap yet trusted. Suggestions welcome. Plan to buy this Black Friday through Cyber Monday.

Do you need or already have peripherals? (this can add to costs)
Cheap Speakers, Cheap Keyboard with backlight for use in the dark. I already own a Bluetooth Microsoft Sculpt Mouse.
Need Wifi.

What will you be using your Glorious computer for? Gaming? Rendering? Mix of both? Or is this a home media PC or Steam Box?
Programming(Computer Science Degree, not sure what I'm going to do with it quite yet), Blizzard games, Youtube consumption, tutoring online.

It will also be used by my mother who is known for having upwards of 14 browser windows, 5 emails, and a word document open at the sametime. This is meant partially as an upgrade for her from her OLD Macbook.... on 2GB ~800MHz RAM. (Which nowadays can't even be used for more than 1 window)

I am tempted by Shadowplay to use it to start a Youtube channel for fun. NOT a big concern AT ALL.

Do you overclock or want to get into overclocking?
No.

Do you plan on going for custom water-cooling now, or in the future?
No.

Operating System. Do you need a new one?
Dreamspark is amazing.

What kind of settings do you like or what FPS do you want to play at?
Anything at or over Medium 30FPS will make me quite happy.

What resolution will you be playing at? //or would like to play at.
900P

What kind of games do you like to play?
Blizzard Games. Shadow of Mordor(Medium settings is fine)
Other than that I really like RTS games in general like Star Craft. I like Heroes of the Storm(MOBA).

"Also- Remember to ask why someone would recommend that specific component over another. If they just say A is better than B for no reason. Don't listen to them, ask for reasons X, Y, & Z in a sincere manner so flame wars do not ensue." Can you guys make it so I don't HAVE to ask? Please and thank you! :D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jLvHcf
Chose a GTX950 for myself since it's the lowest end new GPU, similar reason for the Skylake i3.

You could easily get an i5 at that budget

And I'd suggest a 380 over a 950/960, bit higher performance, and potentially better DX12 support, maybe get a 380x if they're more available now as well

Well I meant $700 with the peripherals included. Can't afford to go over $700, unfortunately.

Also you didn't seem to read through my post and partlist...

I already own a 240GB 850 EvO that I already bought on sale.

Did that include a monitor? I swapped the SSD for the Coolermaster Devastator Bundle, you just need to use some tape to lower the lift off distance on the sensor, at stock it'll track from like a 1/4th of an inch up

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xvjPCJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xvjPCJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($28.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $616.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 21:03 EST-0500

I like the build. Might we be able to squeeze some more memory in there. When you do alot of building you need quite a bit of memory. That and 380 is a little overkill.. If he is only programming and doing light gaming id consider and even more budget graphics card or just get a 280x at the same price. I mean there was not much of a change between them. Might he be able to fit an SSD in? I mean that would save him quite a bit of time on things.

If none of those matter at least bump the ram. That and get a keyboard thats a joy to type on. Cherry MX clue switches are so nice. I do a lot of programming and I gotta say the difference from non mechnical to mechanical is amazing. It is worth the money

1 Like

Didn't know if he needed a display, so I left some room

1 Like

I was just tossing in some of my suggestions :)