64Gb RAM on AM4 X570

Hi all

I bought a new Motherboard CPU and RAM end of 2021 and went with 32Gb RAM thinking that will be plenty. For the most part it is enough for things like gaming + browser tabs, but I also use the system for work and sometimes I need to run more than 1 virtual machine. At that point 32Gb starts to struggle. Also, I’m forced to use Win11 for work :frowning:

I know mainly the basics about RAM and how it works. I believe what I want to do will be fine, but wanted to check if I’m not overlooking something that may be obvious to others that are more knowledgeable about this.

What I have:
AMD 5600x
ASUS PRIME X570-P
2x16Gb G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GVKC

What I want:
… add 2 more of the exact same 16Gb sticks to make 64Gb.

Based on G.Skill’s web site this should be fine?? After filtering for my motherboard, I first found the kit I already have. Then I checked if the site lists the same ram but as a 4x kit which it does. See links below.

So, can I buy the same 2x16Gb kit and have 64Gb running at 3600MHz or is there something I’m missing?

Mixing ram is fine you just will have harder time hitting the rating on the box. If you want max perf 2x32 would be better.

I already checked and no one in my area has stock 2x32Gb 3600MHr CL16 and they don’t know when they will get. I’m in South Africa.

So I’m looking at adding the 2 more modules of exact same RAM I already have, which I can get and it’s on special, and according to G.Skill’s website that should be fine…?

Yeah it will work, just might not hit same speed as when you add more sticks it gets harder to hit clocks.

1 Like

If you can find a matching set of the exact same memory kits.
Than i suppose there should not be that much of an issue.
But of course make sure you run the latest bios on the motherboard.

1 Like

I have had more problems than benefits in the past while mixing memory kits, and especially when adding all 4 modules.

My way to go is always a kit of 2.

Other than that, I have 2x32GB Corsair Vengance on my son’s PC, with X570 and Ryzen 5900, and works perfect for two years now.

1 Like

2x32GB Corsair LPX RAM running at 3600MHz here. Running on a B550 with a 5800X. You will have a much easier time with 2 sticks. 4 might work, specially if your board already has the latest BIOS (and your CPU’s IMC is up for it), but if they are mixed sets they will work at the slowest speed. You may even not be able to run much faster than SPD speeds, which for many DDR4 sticks is 2133MHz or 2400MHz. You most likely would have to do some tweaking.

If RAM capacity is that important to you right now, I would take a gamble and just get the extra 2x16GB set if you have no other option. You honestly won’t lose much in terms of real performance, except in games in very CPU starved situations.

1 Like

Still early, but so far nothing obvious going wrong…

Running 3 VMs with each using 16Gb of ram. Normally I would run 2 VMs at most. CPU a little high as 2 of the VMs are updating…

And all VMs off again…

Have you run ram stability tests yet like testmem5?

naah… just winging it… I didn’t even update the BIOS. I figured if it works then great… if not, then I’ll do something about it.

1 Like

I am running 128GB ECC RAM on x570 since about 3ys rock stable - so it is surely possible

So I know you’re good, but there’s a way to know before you buy anything if things are going to work. Allow me to introduce the Memory QVL. QVL = Qualified Vendor List. This is a list of sticks of memory that your manufacturer has validated as works with their board. And they even validate in single, dual, or quad slot configurations. A couple different versions of your memory appear on this list validated in 4 slot configs, so you had good odds.

Congrats on your upgrade. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice, thank you. Will keep that in mind for the future.

Ever since I learned these existed, I only buy memory that’s on the QVL. Haven’t had weird memory issues since I started doing that.

I’ve had a ton of problems with memory directly from the QVL of a board, actually. Had fewer problems ignoring the QVL entirely.
For desktop boards, it’s mostly just a song and dance to deny warranty and promote some kits/brands. For enterprise/workstation, though, I think there’s probably more to it than that.

QLVs are a good starting point to look into, particularly if you are an early adopter of a particular platform. Thing is that they are rarely updated, and as BIOS revisions and new RAM modules come out the QVL becomes rather useless.

Quick update:
So far I have not run into any memory issues and I’ve done a little bit gaming. The CPU on the other hand ain’t all that happy and often runs at 100% while I’m working, but it’s rare that I run 3 VMs at the same time… so not that big of deal.

So it seems AM4 can handle 64Gb of RAM at 3600MHz as long as you have matching modules and I didn’t even update the BIOS. Should I update the BIOS?.. probably, but if it ain’t broke…

And if I stop things inside the VMs:

AM4 can probably handle 128GB at 3600 fine too, if the modules are decent enough.