5th gen ryzen APU (Ryzen 5 5600G)

looks messy, but look at the results…

now it shut down most of my threads to hit those speeds.

is there a fix?

1 Like

update, I did fix. Still a daily driver, EVEN FASTER now.

pics to come soon.

Go into bios, advanced, and in AMD PBS/CBS you’ll find amd overocking, in here you’ll find performance boost overdrive (pbo)
Change it from auto to enabled, if you change it to advanced you’ll get curve optimizer, change this to negative and give it a value of 5-10

2 Likes

NEGITIVE?? that. is. very not intuitive. Why??? just, label it better… How was anyone supposed to find that?

1 Like

Negative means you’re giving less voltage, by default amd over provisions voltage

Here we are tuning it for 2 reasons
Lower temps, modern silicon needs less voltage the cooler a chip is
When you have less voltage that means you have less wattage at same amperage
You can only cram so much power(watts) into these things
The higher the frequency the higher the amperage draw there is, so by lower voltage we can increase how much amps under the same power ceiling, more amps means higher frequency

1 Like

BRB, doing this now.

Your mileage will vary on how silicon lottery

Chip overclocking is kinda backwards now, you don’t really want to test all core using PBO since usually multi threaded heavy loads require more amperage so you’ll be locked into a lower frequency which will probably be stable

You’ve heard of diminishing returns, with each higher multiplier it requires more and more volts, so that low thread boosts will clock higher than all core

But eventually the additional voltage required for the higher clocks will “out-run” the offset

Best way to check stability is to run a battery of game benchmarks, I used cyberpunk and borderlands 3

Don’t know if I explained that good enough, I really need to make a chart

2 Likes

You’ll probably want an aggressive fan profile if you do much all core loads

Your game clocks will be much higher frequency with lower temps, if you’re using the Apu graphics you’ll want to bench with the Lowest resolution and graphics settings to really push out as many frames as possible
You only need to do that for stress testing purposes

2 Likes

and resize bar is maxed out.

1 Like

sorry if double post to say it, but when I saw the massive price drop on the RX 6600, it was no question in my mind, “GIVE!” Lmao

1 Like

The objective nowadays, is on the efficiency front, since they’re already set highstrung
The binning odds, are with how low a power feed, for the processor [to run at “spec”]
Trying to overclock is involving too much power, just to clear a few table scraps of freq.

1 Like

Not really the question. I was saying it was not easy to know that from the uefi/ryzen master.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.