5Ghz with a new environment

i have a few devices that are not staying connected. we have what seems to be a stable connection at ISP speeds though out the area.

router:ASUS RT-AC87U
device with most issues: HTC-M9
iOS device also has issues to a lesser degree

HTC guy says he hasnt had issues before.

even with “fast” connections a few of the devices are not staying connected?

only a few other routers covering the same ranges in our area.

i really dont know what it could be, i have played with the broadcast width and the CHs but still the devices are having issues

how far away are they seeming to lose connection

within 5-10 feet, i know its not a range issue

Do they show full bars when they disconnect?

its not my device, the user wouldn’t know

5GHz typically isn’t good at long distences; unless within LOS (Line of Sight).

If the device is losing connected just a few feet away then something else is happening.

Use a laptop with InSSIDer or LinSSIDer to measure the signel levels of the signal band for your wifi at the range where clients are D/C’ing. Post the output picture bellow, and we’ll take it from there.

Side note: apple phones like to do dumb shit and have a setting where if they ‘think’ the connection is low they will temporarily switch to carrier data to ‘preserve the user experience’. This setting has fucked with me in the past, and should usually be turned off.

Maybe there’s another bad wifi with strong signal in the area, and the user device prefers that one.

… Another good point of reference to get would be to switch the device to airplane mode, and then turn on the wifi.

Download a wifi analyzer on the phone to view any other AP’s in your area that might be broadcasting on the same frequency/channel. If you are operating on the same frequency as anyone else, you’ll want to move to something unused. If you can use a DFS channel in your area, try that.

On the phone, under developer options, check “Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging”. check your RSSI to the router from the phone. You ideally want better than -70, but in areas with higher noise/interference (apartments, condos, etc) you’ll need better than that.

If you’re using a 40/80MHz channel width, switch to 20MHz. You’ll generally have better overall modulation and less interference. Unless you’re getting 150Mbps+ you won’t need more bandwidth either.

If someone else has their wifi with a channel width of that they could be snuffing out his signal. Only way to stop their interference would be to have them change settings or put up copper mesh panels on the walls.

ill buy antennas. maybe having a stronger signal in this area will do the trick.

i have moved every thing to 2.4Ghz, its working. still the HTC has issues. i have had the user change a few of the devices settings, disabling wifi optimization and “switching”

at the moment it seems to be better or at least working

1 Like

That’s good! Stronger antennas are a good start, but a better solution would be to have another access point where coverage is weakest; and run a cable to it.

the person having issues is in the room next to the AP. he cant connect when sitting next to it on the 5Ghz

Have you tried changing the orientation of the antennas?

just in case i swapped 2 of the 4, no difference

ill try not having all at 90 degrees.

ill do a \ \ / / in place of | | | |

in general, you want to be at least 6ft away.

Are there copper pipes in the wall?

only in the middle of our place. the wall the AP is on is opposite the HTC M9 bedroom

at this point its really just the HTC one M9 that is having the issues still. i have 2 chrome casts that were a little flaky but they are staying on also.

i moved the 2.4 to a channel that only has 2 other APs on it, and no one between

after moving the channel and all devices to 2.4 we are all staying connected and the HTC can connect but i doubt its a flawless connection.

i am really leaning to it being a very needy device with lite issues on the routers side. having found what seems to be the best situation i can in this area, its at least connecting now

It can be any conductive mesh of appropriate size LOL… Copper just works better due to its density and high electroconductivity

@kenkoda
All the questions are valid but has anyone bothered to note that the client antennae has a ground plane that maybe misaligned… because its a one m9 and its only got a small plastic strip for antenna opening… consider positioning the router antennas to cope for phones

One straight up… on slanted diagonally and the other 90 degrees offset from striaght up or just point straight out the back of the router… This often helps with those types of situations … Even apple at one point wrote an article on it

Antennas have what is called a ground plane or an alignment Even omni directional ones have something to align their donut shaped propagation. Noting that all your devices are mobile devices it could just be the issue. I had something similar happen in the past and repositioning antennas was all that was needed… that being said these issues are rare but known by us EE’s it doesnt usually trickle down to the IT guys and network guys because generally 99.99 percent of the time theres no need to try this but I suggest trying this… seeing if it fixes your issue. If it doesnt then you have some sort of local interference especially if it only occurs in one spot