5GHz access point?

I was thinking of upgrading from my 2.4 AP to a dual band one. Got any recommendations?

I don’t really have many demands that I can think of.
It would be nice it it supports DD-WRT.
Don’t need more than 1 LAN port as I have a switch, but if there’s more no biggie.
I run mine in client mode and only have 3 devices hooked up to it. So what I need is an access point that can connect to an existing wireless network and distribute it over ethernet, not the other way around.

Is it perhaps possible to use a regular router to connect as a client? Would I have to run it in bridged mode if so? I prefer to not be bridged.

Are you looking for a router/AP combo or just an AP? If just an AP a lot of people on here run the ubquiti ones

Ubiquiti has a selection of good APs, like the UniFi AP AC LR

MikroTik cAP ac is another nice one, the Audience could also be a consideration.

Extreme Networks AP3915 is probably overkill territory.

I just need an AP but I want one with a DHCP server and as far as I can tell Ubiquiti doesn’t include that.
The reason why I don’t want a bridged client is that the router I’m connecting to(which is my landlord’s router) for some reason changes your ip like every 2 days.
So by running my own DHCP server like my TP-Link TL-WA901ND does, my ip stays static and I don’t have to update the ip settings on my Kodi app whenever I want to stream movies to my tv.

We don’t have the Cap ac here, and the Audience is really expensive.
The Extreme is the price of a new TV :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve checked in my ubiquiti AP. No there is no way to set the access point to do that.

That’s mainly because they also sell the Unifi Security Gateway that does that.

What you could do is use a raspberry pi as a DHCP server and probably as well run Pi-Hole on it. So basically use it as a network appliance.

Is there even any 5Ghz DD-WRT device? Wasn’t there something about signed firmware because of 5GHz messing with weather radar?

Quite the opposite it’s mostly 2.4 that’s no longer used for anything that cares about throughput, it’s mostly been relegated for smart home devices like thermostats and smart speakers and garage door automation and power usage sensors and stuff.

There was a hoopla back in 2015/2016 because there was a motion in the US to require hardware vendors to disallow firmware replacement, supposedly due to radio interference… That didn’t pass.

Depending on what country and channel you pick, Linux drivers will do the correct thing when it comes to radar detection. (e.g. ch.36 they do nothing in most jurisdictions/countries; ch.52 might take 30s to start up IIRC; 149 will start up instantly but with a power cap in Europe).

Some hardware vendors will ship with additional breakglass settings, the ui will have a checkbox for the user to confirm they’re licensed.

Does your landlord do 2.4 or 5ghz or both? You could use something like a mikrotik disclite 5ac as a client device and a router. Then do ubiquiti ap ac lr or nanohd for yourself internally.

What kind of throughput are you looking for?

Also, have you considered Ethernet , or Ethernet over coax or Ethernet over power?

The ubiquiti solution for a router is their security gateways (or at least thats the one that also integrates with the controller software along with the aps).

I’ve been running a dnsmasq diy router for a while before that. Its fairly easy to setup but its annoying to maintain if you want it to do anything more than being a simple dhcp server/dns forwarder and assign some static ips. If thats all you need its fine too and very reliable once setup.

Another option is to just setup a static ip on your pc that hosts your kodi content (as in dont use dhcp).

Otherwise, you are gonna need a seperate router if you are gonna go with one of the unifi aps.

They also have this thing

Witch is a router/ap combo unit and has wifi 6, witch is something you currently don´t get at all from their ubiquiti branded stuff. Amplifi is their more consumer oriented branding.

The weather radar stuff was about some of the bands used by 5G, not Wifi.

No. It’s really 5Ghz: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_or_5.8_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac/ax)

In 2007, the FCC (United States) began requiring that devices operating in the bands of 5.250–5.350 GHz and 5.470–5.725 GHz must employ dynamic frequency selection (DFS) and transmit power control (TPC) capabilities. This is to avoid interference with weather-radar and military applications.[[19]]

1 Like

Anyway, back to topic: I feel like we are missing the WR-841ND of 5Ghz dd-wrt Goodness. The cheap & cheerful option. All I have found are 100$ or above.

After learning a router can run in client mode, I’ve gone with a used Linksys EA8500.

1 Like