5820k stuff

Okay, so just sort of an off topic story. My 5820k seems to be binned insanely well. Two years ago, it ran at 4.8ghz at 1.3v with no issues whatsoever. Now, being more mature and understanding that it's proliferation is probably more important than a high number in my head, I have it at 4.2ghz with the voltage set to stock ranges after having monitored the peak voltage with the stock frequencies. Now here is where and why I am completely shocked. The temperature never ever peaks above 45c when compiling ROMs and kernels, which is a very intense process, and it stays like that on average. Barely ever peaks above. Two years ago, doing the same task would cause the CPU to rocket up to 60-70c while at the same frequency. The base clock was never changed or anything. I'm hesitant to try a higher OC, but I was just curious what results you guys were able to get with your chips. I don't think I am going over to RYZEN just yet because of how well this thing is doing for me and how much time I invested into it. So share your clocks and stuff like that. I am also going to do a post on licensing today for open source software as well so see you guys around

1 Like

Well those are very good temperatures.
But if your particular 5820K can do 4.8Ghz at 1.3V then you have a golden sample.
I dont think that upgrading to Ryzen in this point of time is going to benefit you really much.
Of course the 1800X at 4.1Ghz might do better in compiling,
but i doubt that it would be really worth it at this moment in time.
I would rather wait for X299, and see if intel might do something interesting with their pricings,
now AMD is compative again.
I mean X99 still has some benefits over am4, in terms of iommu support for virtualization.

Also i would run that 5820K at 4.5Ghz as daily.
Unless 4.8GHz on all cores is rock stable.

1 Like

Yeah. I've been sticking with 4.5 at 1.05v. Best setup I've had in forever.

:astonished:
And here I thought 4GHz @ 1.09v on a 4790k was good. Now I have to see if I can tighten those values up a bit..

1 Like