5800x build

from what I’ve heard, the next chipset/motherboard round will be AM5 or whatever they call it.

The roll out migth be on time but availability is a completly different story, especially depending on which part of the world you live in.
Usually the US are the biggest market for PC parts so, if there are pre-orders available, you’re much more likely to get a 5800x on launch day.
If you’re in the EU is going to be harder for sure.
Just keep an eye out for pre-orders or known retailers that are gonna get some of those CPUs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zXzGGq

Then i was going to upgrade by GPU off Craigslist.

or do i what for the am5 release because it is dumb to buy at the end of the am4 life.

i will probably sit on this build for 10yrs

I’d go for two 16GB sticks, it would allow you to slap more in later on if you wanted an upgrade to 64GB. Two sticks works better on Ryzen as far as I understand (especially at high clock speeds, anyway)

Is the 3800X a placeholder for a 5000 series CPU?

If you don’t plan on upgrading at all for 10 years then AM4 will be fine. If you do plan on maybe swapping the CPU or whatever then maybe it does make sense to wait for AM5. 10 years is a long time, after all.

But idk, I suppose it depends on whether you’re struggling with your current system.

32gb is probably over kill, famous last words

yes

Well upgrade drives and ram at the most, but even then i feel less likely this round, famous last words

Yeah, I feel “future-proofing” is hard. We don’t always know what we’ll need 🤷

My Ryzen 5 3600 is a placeholder for a 5000 series or a discounted 3900-3950x. I see another Bios update on Gigabyte’s site for version 1.1 & 1.2, X570 Master. Is it a beta if the number ends in “b”? I just installed F 30 last week. Now I see F31b

1 Like

3600+ is worth at least trying, then backing off to 3200 if for some reason it is unstable.

@wendell As a cereal stocker, is it easy to dial down in the bios without issue? I have a 4770k setup and never attempted to dial it.

yep, most bioses make it reeally easy these days

Well if you don´t have plans to upgrade the cpu to a Ryzen 9,
then that motherboard is kinda okayish…
But for a Ryzen 9 cpu it won’t be a good board.
So keep that in mind.

Also yeah buying a 3800X as a place holder for an upgrade to a 5800X is also questionable.
It´s not really a very economical way to go if you ask me.

2 Likes

I don’t because i’m not chasing that dragon. I don’t envision going to a 12-core without atleast doing an all new build.

I have an matx case and the asrock is the only MB left. itx don’t have four memory slots, and usually only one nvme slot. I run VMs so i was thinking of getting a quad nic on the second slot.

just a place holder for wattage and build cost wasnt planning on buying. Though if the price goes down enough it might be attractive. Likely the 5800x.

Looking at:
https://www.newegg.ca/gigabyte-x570-i-aorus-pro-wifi/p/N82E16813145159?Description=x570%20aorus%20itx&cm_re=x570_aorus%20itx--13-145-159--Product

I wanted to go triple NVMe Raid, but i can’t find an matx or itx that has 3 nvme slots; then I’m going to slidemy old SSD Raid to be cache for the storage drives.

@MisteryAngel Does the Context change you opinion?

@wendell Are there affiliate codes for newegg.ca?

Would “intel” noted ram work with AMD?

It is DDR4 memory after all, so it will work.

If you want to be sure, check the QVL list of the motherboard you plan to use.

AM4 or AM5
Two-Face-Batman-Forever-1995

ddr4 or ddr5
tenorjh

• 5800x - AM5
  • 3800x - AM4

0 voters

Why are you asking about stuff that aint exists?
I mean we don’t really know anything about am5 yet.

Als in regards to this not really.
I mean since you have a m-atx case and you want x570.
Then the said board is pretty much the only option.
Like i said the vrm on the Asrock X570M pro4 is not great,
but okayish for a Ryzen7 cpu.

I thought there was a leak showing AM5 coming in 2021 with ddr5

Pretty much still all rumors at this stage as far as i´m aware.
However according to AMD’s original roadmap am4 should reach eol in 2020 .
So the 5000 series cpu´s are likely going to be the last cpu´s for am4.
What comes next is yet to be seen.
However with the current situation the world is in right now,
i kinda hold off from their original roadmaps a bit.

I have also seen the rumors about am5, ddr5 and x670.
However nothing is really confimered as far as i know.