5700xt on popos

So whenever you’re ready, and you have another device to communicate from, you’re gonna do basically the same thing as an Ubuntu beta release upgrade sudo do-release-upgrade -d, but we’re gonna do it manually and a bit more aggressive.

So the first thing is gonna be to install tmux and openssh-server:

sudo apt install tmux openssh-server

Next, we’re gonna point our system to the repositories for the newer release.

sed -i'' -e 's/disco/eoan/g' /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

Then you’re gonna launch a tmux session with

tmux

which should give you a fresh shell prompt. It may ask you to choose your style or set a prefix key. Do whatever you like, but try to remember what your prefix-key is. If you don’t know what it is, you can display it with tmux list-keys |grep send-prefix. It’ll be the content of the third column, probably something like C-a or C-b. The capital C stands for the control key.

Then you’re gonna run

sudo apt update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

(I like to use aptitude first because it has a gentler dependency resolver for dist-upgrade.) Updates will chug along, and you will be prompted about using old or new config files a few times. Unless you manually edited the config in question, choose the newer one.

If anything gets stuck, or you see any errors, let me know and we’ll solve them together. If nothing does come up, show me the output of apt list --upgradeable. Those will be the last components we need to upgrade to finish the release upgrade, which we’ll handle similarly as above but with sudo apt full-upgrade, and possibly some other manual adjustments.

Also if you’d like some more real-time help for this part (it should be quick, but there might be an odd roadbump or two), DM me your contact info for some F/OSS chat service like Telegram or Wire.

I got stuck on this line:

Next, we’re gonna point our system to the repositories for the newer release.

sed -i'' -e 's/disco/eoan/g /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*'

The error message:
sed: -e expression #1, char 16: unknown option to `s’

My bad, I misplaced a quotation mark. lemme correct that comment

So I fixed it above, but now is as good a time as any to go over what it means, so in the future if there is some mistake in a sed command that you encounter, you have a chance of fixing it yourself.

So the command is:

sed -i'' -e 's/disco/eoan/g' /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

To break it down, -i means the files will be edited ‘in-place’. This is as opposed to sed outputting the modifications to the file at the terminal for your viewing or possible redirection into other commands. The -i option takes a parameter, which is a suffix: because modifying existing files ‘blindly’ (sed is non-interactive) is kind of dangerous, the suffix is appended to the name of the files written. By supplying the empty string as a parameter, we’re telling sed: ‘Actually fuck my shit up please; edit those files directly’.

The -e option tells sed that we will give it the program to run as a command-line parameter instead of reading it from a file. We are using the s command within sed, which means ‘substitute’, and it’s just a search and replace operation. s takes a delimiter, which separates the search query from its replacement as well as other options to the s command. Here, we give it a / for a delimiter, which is a common convention. The first /-delimited parameter is the search target, the second parameter is the replacement. The third /-delimited parameter is an option for the s command which means ‘global’, and tells it to replace ALL of the instances it finds of that phrase. So together you get the common formula s/something/replacement/g, which is probably the most common sed script you’ll ever use at the command-line.

As with every new command, take some time to browse the output of man sed, which contains detailed information on this as well as sed's other capabilities.

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the effort to explain this to me, I really appreciate it. Didn’t know about the man command, this runs circles around apropos in terms of usefulness.

Unfortunately though, I immediately hit another snag:

sed: couldn’t open temporary file /etc/apt/sedx8BcBa: Permission denied

1 Like

Oh my God, I should have told you sooner! man is the best thing ever. I use it basically every day.

It should send output to a pager program by default on Ubuntu, usually less, which means that if you hit the / key while browsing a man page, you can then type a query and hit the Enter key to search. Use n to go to the next result and N to go to the previous. If you want to search backwards, start the search using ? instead of /.

As for this:

That’s because the files in /etc/apt (and everything else under /etc are Big Boi Files™ that you gotta be root or someone special to edit. So go ahead and prefix that command with sudo and rerun it.

1 Like

So just to supplement the bit about man a little:

apropos, whatis, and man are of course the holy trinity of learning as you go on Unix and Unix-likes. You should also know about info, which is basically the same as man but some programs put their most detailed manuals in info instead of man pages.

There’s also a more recent man-like program that you should know and learn to love called tldr, which is like man but instead of giving you all the deets, it tells you how to do a few of the most common things a command is used for, and it tells you in a really concise way.

This, for example, is the output of tldr for pdftk, a common command-line utility for manipulating PDF files en masse in scripts.

pdftk
PDF toolkit.More information: https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit.

- Extract pages 1-3, 5 and 6-10 from a PDF file and save them as another one:
   pdftk {{input.pdf}} cat {{1-3 5 6-10}} output {{output.pdf}}

- Merge (concatenate) a list of PDF files and save the result as another one:
   pdftk {{file1.pdf file2.pdf …}} cat output {{output.pdf}}

- Split each page of a PDF file into a separate file, with a given filename output pattern:
   pdftk {{input.pdf}} burst output {{out_%d.pdf}}

- Rotate all pages by 180 degrees clockwise:
   pdftk {{input.pdf}} cat {{1-endsouth}} output {{output.pdf}}

- Rotate third page by 90 degrees clockwise and leave others unchanged:
   pdftk {{input.pdf}} cat {{1-2 3east 4-end}} output {{output.pdf}}

or for sed, which we’ve discussed:

sed
Edit text in a scriptable manner.

- Replace the first occurrence of a regular expression in each line of a file, and print the result:
   sed 's/{{regex}}/{{replace}}/' {{filename}}

- Replace all occurrences of an extended regular expression in a file, and print the result:
   sed -r 's/{{regex}}/{{replace}}/g' {{filename}}

- Replace all occurrences of a string in a file, overwriting the file (i.e. in-place):
   sed -i 's/{{find}}/{{replace}}/g' {{filename}}

- Replace only on lines matching the line pattern:
   sed '/{{line_pattern}}/s/{{find}}/{{replace}}/' {{filename}}

- Delete lines matching the line pattern:
   sed '/{{line_pattern}}/d' {{filename}}

- Print only text between n-th line till the next empty line:
   sed -n '{{n}},/^$/p' {{filename}}

- Apply multiple find-replace expressions to a file:
   sed -e 's/{{find}}/{{replace}}/' -e 's/{{find}}/{{replace}}/' {{filename}}

- Replace separator / by any other character not used in the find or replace patterns, e.g., #:
   sed 's#{{find}}#{{replace}}#' {{filename}}

- Print only the n-th line of a file:
   sed '{{n}}q;d' {{filename}}

Really, really, lovely if you’re CLI-curious but sometimes you feel a little overwhelmed working your way through all those manuals. Perfect when you just want a quick and dirty example to solve a common problem. You can grab it on Ubuntu-based distros with sudo apt install tldr

2 Likes

sudo apt update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade threw a couple of exceptions, don’t know if they’re important:
E: The repository ‘http://ppa.launchpad.net/paulo-miguel-diaz/pkppa/ubuntu eoan Release’ does not have a Release file.
E: The repository ‘https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu eoan Release’ does not have a Release file.

Maybe I should have mentioned that earlier I installed Padoka stable ppa and Wine in an effort to get things working.

It would have been good for you to mention that earlier, but it’s fine. Those errors are expected. You can remove those PPAs if you want by deleting the corresponding files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d.

So && is a special syntax that means ‘run the next command if the previous one succeeded’. Because of those errors, aptitude dist-upgrade never ran. If you like, run that sudo aptitude dist-upgrade command separately. It should think for a little while, then tell you about an upgrade plan, possibly warning you about conflicts. In general, you want to avoid resolutions that uninstall a lot of packages, but removing a few is okay. Most changes should be upgrades and some new packages will likely get pulled in.

Once the upgrade gets going, something will probably break, and we may need to massage things with apt, apt-get, or aptitude to get the upgrade going again.

If you don’t feel comfortable fielding aptitude's questions about how to go about the upgrade and whether to keep looking for solutions or accept one or the other, you can try apt-get dist-upgrade or apt full-upgrade instead. Those ones will just decide to remove some packages to make the complete upgrade happen and go for it.

aptitude can be a little more flexible in showing you multiple ways that conflicts on your upgrade path can be resolved. Trying to get it to show you the outcome you want is a bit of a game, and it can make things go smoother to play it. But if you feel like the prompts are basically meaningless to you at your current knowledge level, don’t worry about it and use one of the other ones.

(In the future, as in this post, I’ll omit sudo from the APT commands I’m describing, because package management on Debian-based distros always requires root access to make changes, so you should always expect it. Just searching or describing available and installed packages does not require sudo, but all (un)installation and upgrade commands do.)

Here’s some errors I encountered running sudo aptitude dist-upgrade:

ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-5.0.0-29-generic is not supported
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.0.0-29-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/system76-io/1.0.1~1559663713~19.10~ea5f61a/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg:error processing package system76-io-dkms (–configure):
installed system76-io-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10

Errors were encountered while processing:
system76-dkms
system76-io-dkms

Current status: 0 (-1294) upgradable.

1 Like

Oh, sweet! So the update finished, huh? Are you on one of System76’s laptops or desktops?

Would you mind installing tree (apt install tree) and showing me the output of

tree /etc/apt

please?

Don’t reboot just yet— those errors with respect to system76-dkms will probably mean, if you have a Thelio, that you have no storage when you reboot. Those are probably the drivers for their storage backplane.

Also please show me once again the output of

aptitude search '~i?or(radeon,amdgpu,xserver-xorg-core,linux-image-)' -F '%p %v' --disable-columns

Ok, looks like system76-dkms is actually just used for fan control and special keys on System76 laptops. If that’s not what you’re running on, you can actually just go ahead and uninstall it, with apt remove system76-dkms. system76-io-dkms is the driver for the IO backplane in the Thelio, so if you’re not running a Thelio desktop you can likewise remove that. And with that, dpkg (the lower-level counterpart to APT, which handles installing and uninstalling individual packages, whereas APT figures out how to make combinations of packages work together) will be happy about the state of your system.

If when you remove those, apt says it’s gonna remove a bunch of other package, that may be just fine, or not. Show me which packages it says doing so will remove, if it names any.

Edit: JK, I’m a big goof. Those errors you see are fine, as they’re with respect to your old kernel (where the old kernel modules are presumably still installed anyway).

A bit of an explainer: so Linux device drivers that live outside of the kernel’s source code tree are installed via a mechanism called ‘kernel modules’. When you switch to a new kernel, you want to bring those drivers with you, which usually means compiling them (or otherwise somehow treating them, this is usually called ‘compilation’ even for kernel modules distributed more or less as binaries, like NVIDIA’s drivers) against the new kernel and then putting them in a directory where the kernel will find them.

DKMS stands for ‘Dynamic Kernel Module System’ or something like that. It’s a way for Debian-based distros like Ubuntu, Pop_OS, and Linux Mint to make sure that when you change kernels, the out-of-tree modules you use with it also get updated and installed for the new kernel. It’s also used so that (as in the case that produced these errors), when you upgrade out-of-tree drivers, their new kernel modules get installed for all of your installed kernels. The error message we’re seeing in this case occurred because our upgrade pulled in a new version of these System76 drivers. These updated drivers have been modified to work with the kernel that comes with the upcoming release of Ubuntu (and so the upcoming release of Pop_OS), 19.10, codenamed Eoan Ermine. Those changes rendered the driver incompatible with the older 5.0.0.0 kernel, so when the triggers associated with that package update were processed, it tried and failed to build those drivers for your old kernel. But that’s not the kernel you’re going to boot anymore, so we don’t care.

Even though it says 0 upgradeable, go ahead and run

apt list --upgradeable

for me. Other than that, reboot and run that aptitude-based version check again. I think we may still need to upgrade your Mesa, but that may not be true since your PPAs got brought along on this upgrade.

From here, though, it looks like you may be ready to install that graphics card. If your version for xserver-xorg-video-radeon is 19.2 or higher, you should be good to go with the Mesa drivers. There may be one last step in telling the system to use those and not amdgpu, not sure.

Also, just a heads up: in about an hour and a half I have to leave to go knock on like 50 doors to help secure immigrants’ rights in my city. I should be free again by 18:30 (my timezone is UTC -7).

If you need some help in the meantime and no one here is responsive to you, you can hit me up on Wire, where my handle is, as here, @pxc. If it’s something simple like everything so far, I can shoot off a reply on my phone in between houses.

/etc/apt
├── apt.conf.d
│ ├── 01autoremove
│ ├── 01autoremove-kernels
│ ├── 01-vendor-ubuntu
│ ├── 20apt-esm-hook.conf
│ ├── 20dbus
│ ├── 20packagekit
│ ├── 50appstream
│ ├── 50command-not-found
│ ├── 51ubuntu-advantage-esm
│ ├── 60icons
│ ├── 60icons-hidpi
│ ├── 60icons-large
│ ├── 60icons-large-hidpi
│ ├── 60pop-shop
│ └── 70debconf
├── auth.conf.d
├── preferences.d
│ └── pop-default-settings
├── sources.list
├── sources.list~
├── sources.list.d
│ ├── paulo-miguel-dias-ubuntu-pkppa-disco.list
│ ├── system76-ubuntu-pop-disco.list
│ └── system76-ubuntu-pop-disco.list.save
├── sources.list.save
├── trusted.gpg
├── trusted.gpg~
└── trusted.gpg.d
├── paulo-miguel-dias_ubuntu_pkppa.gpg
├── system76_ubuntu_pop.gpg
├── ubuntu-keyring-2012-archive.gpg
├── ubuntu-keyring-2012-cdimage.gpg
└── ubuntu-keyring-2018-archive.gpg

libdrm-amdgpu1 2.4.99-1ubuntu1
libdrm-amdgpu1:i386 2.4.99-1ubuntu1
libdrm-radeon1 2.4.99-1ubuntu1
libdrm-radeon1:i386 2.4.99-1ubuntu1
linux-image-5.0.0-21-generic 5.0.0-21.22+system76
linux-image-5.0.0-29-generic 5.0.0-29.31
linux-image-5.3.0-13-generic 5.3.0-13.14
linux-image-generic 5.3.0.13.14
xserver-xorg-core 2:1.20.5+git20190820-0ubuntu3
xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu 19.0.1-1
xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:19.0.1-1

The report after reboot is exactly the same. From apt list --upgradeable I get:

gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0/eoan 3.34.0-2ubuntu1 amd64 [upgradable from: 3.33.91-1ubuntu2]
gnome-desktop3-data/eoan,eoan 3.34.0-2ubuntu1 all [upgradable from: 3.33.91-1ubuntu2]
intel-microcode/eoan 3.20190918.1ubuntu1 amd64 [upgradable from: 3.20190618.0ubuntu0.19.04.1]
libgnome-desktop-3-18/eoan 3.34.0-2ubuntu1 amd64 [upgradable from: 3.33.91-1ubuntu2]
libgnutls30/eoan 3.6.9-5ubuntu1 amd64 [upgradable from: 3.6.9-5]
libgnutls30/eoan 3.6.9-5ubuntu1 i386 [upgradable from: 3.6.9-5]

xserver-xorg-video-radeon appears to be less than 19.2. Should I proceed with the drivers anyway?

Oh dang, sorry I missed this. Next, the easiest thing to do is (although not the best in some ways, because it’s newer than you actually need) upgrade your Mesa version.

The same guy whose (other?) PPA you added before has another one with the latest Mesa. That will give you the needed driver upgrade.

Replace the Padoka PPA you subscribed to before with this one, then upgrade again (apt update and apt full-upgrade), then reboot. After that you should be good to go :crossed_fingers:

https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/mesa?field.series_filter=disco

After Mesa 19.2+ makes its way into Ubuntu and derivatives, you’ll likely want to downgrade to the stable version and remove the PPA.

sorry for the delay, @schwebbz

No problem at all, you’re not amd tech support (are you?) and I’m in no hurry. :slight_smile: I’m not quite good to go yet, though: mesa haven’t done the trick. I tried running dist-upgrade and found that the navi10 firmware files were missing. Trying to install amdgpu does not fix this, and produces more errors. If I try rebooting now, I have a feeling it won’t work without the navi10 files, but at least the screen didn’t black out on installation this time, so that’s progress, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

My apologies for showing initiative, in hidsight that was a bad idea. Are you willing to keep going with this, or is it time I started looking for a distro that supports the 5700xt ootb? I’m learning a lot, so regardless of the outcome I don’t feel it’s a waste of time for me, but it may be for you.