Return to Level1Techs.com

5700xt on popos

I can’t get pop!_os to acknowledge my 5700 xt at all. getting all the latest updates does nothing. Installing the amd drivers just makes the screen go blank and the machine won’t reboot. Does anyone here know a workaround? Oh, and I’m totally new to Linux so if it’s not too much to ask, explain and elaborate. I want to learn. :slight_smile:

Please install aptitude (i.e., run sudo apt install aptitude) and then share the output of

aptitude search '~i?or(radeon,amdgpu,xserver-xorg-core,linux-image-)' -F '%p %v' --disable-columns

(aptitude is another command-line frontend for APT (Advanced Packaging Tool), Debian’s high-level package management system, also shared by Ubuntu, PopOS, and other distros. Besides slightly different dependency resolution behavior, it offers greater power and flexibility in searching and formatting output than other frontends, like apt-get/apt-cache or the apt command. You can read about the search patterns used above here.)

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @schwebbz. I went ahead and gave you your own thread so it gets more eyes and so the other thread doesnt get derailed with tech support.

1 Like

(wow, that’s a neat Discourse feature

I haven’t been on forums much since the PHPBB days and I gotta say, that flexibility to not just move a whole thread but to basically truncate and fork a thread is really nice)

okay, here goes:

libdrm-amdgpu1 2.4.97-1ubuntu1
libdrm-amdgpu1:i386 2.4.97-1ubuntu1
libdrm-radeon1 2.4.97-1ubuntu1
libdrm-radeon1:i386 2.4.97-1ubuntu1
linux-image-5.0.0-21-generic 5.0.0-21.22+system76
linux-image-5.0.0-29-generic 5.0.0-29.31
linux-image-generic 5.0.0.29.30
xserver-xorg-core 2:1.20.4-1ubuntu3
xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu 19.0.1-1
xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:19.0.1-0ubuntu1

What kernel are you running as well? Try and update the kernel as well and reboot

@ AcldzDesigns, Linux 5.0.0-29-generic. No updates available.

Current kernel is 5.3.1

Thanks! This lets us know what kernel version, display server version, and graphics drivers you have. Conceptually, the drivers you have are both for a given range of kernel versions as well as for a given range of display server versions. You can think of the display server as representative of the userspace component of the graphics subsystem of your operating system— that is, the part that lives outside the operating system kernel.

So ‘linux-image-generic’ at 5.0.0.29.30 gives us your kernel version (Linux is the kernel, remember! so the Linux ‘image’ is your compiled kernel, the binary image of the kernel).

The latest drivers AMD reports for your graphics card are 19.30, and it looks like you’ve just got 19.0.1. The release notes confirm that 19.30 is the first version of the drivers to add support for your card.

Now before we have you do anything, you should know that with AMD drivers on Linux, you have a choice that may feel unusual to you coming from the Mac or Windows world: there are multiple different sets of overall drivers available for AMD on Linux, at various levels. As a fellow AMD user on Linux, I actually like this situation, because it gives you choices according to which you can optimize for the desired performance characteristics of your favorite games. In the case of your Vulkan driver, you can actually specify at runtime on a per-game basis (i.e., via a launch parameter in Steam) which Vulkan driver to use for optimal performance, without (un)installing or rebooting.

For my part, I switch whenever something stops working or I realize I want to try a feature that’s available on a different driver. But generally, I prefer open-source drivers, which for AMD graphics tend to both perform better and exhibit greater stability. You have three choices, two which are open-source:

• Mesa (Vulkan component: RADV): this is the independently-developed open-source driver for modern AMD graphics cards. This is actually my personal go-to.
  • AMDGPU (Vulkan components AMDVLK or AMDGPU-PRO): AMDGPU is AMD’s open-source graphics driver for Linux. This one is also a safe choice, and it’s what we’ll b going with since your graphics card is so new.
  • AMDGPU-PRO: This is AMD’s proprietary graphics driver, which shares the majority of its code with AMDGPU. It tends to perform a little worse for gaming than AMDGPU. Its focus is stability and enterprise features for engineering and GPGPU users.

Both AMDGPU and AMDGPU-PRO are included in the driver packages we’ll be installing from AMD.

You’re gonna wanna pick up your drivers here and then follow the instructions link from that page.

I actually never install my drivers this way, because it wouldn’t work on my distro, so I think AMD will do a better job with further instructions than I can. But please post again if you have any trouble with those instructions and we can see where to go from there.

2 Likes

Hey @schwebbz, before we upgrade the kernel we’ll need to know what version of Pop_OS you’re running. Are you on 19.04 or the 18.04 LTS release? You can check with cat /etc/lsb-release if you don’t remember.

Also, @AcidzDesigns, before we commit to further changes like upgrading the kernel, could you let me know what kernel updates we’re waiting on for this hardware? I haven’t followed along with that development since I don’t have a 5700-series card.

5.3+ should mean support ootb for the 5700xt

Not quite, OOTB, right? Because half of the ‘OOTB’ driver stack is in Mesa. So we’d also have to update Mesa to 19.2.

Just switching to AMDGPU seems like a less invasive change to me in this case.

:man_shrugging: I bought nvidia and all my linux machines are headless.

@pxc, 19.04

Blockquote

Aren’t we skipping a step here? The last time I tried that, I had to reinstall popos form scratch. You mentioned updating the kernel?

So, AMDGPU is only officially supported on the latest LTS release of Ubuntu, and the version of Pop_OS you are running is based on the latest stable release, not the long-term service release. What you remember is likely reverting to the LTS in order to follow the AMDGPU instructions as closely as possible.

I don’t run an Ubuntu-based distro, so I don’t really know what all is involved in shoehorning the driver onto a newer release, but it’s probably possible and we could try to figure that out.

Alternatively, we can try upgrading your kernel and your display stack, and you can use the Mesa drivers instead of AMD’s drivers.

I think you’re in a position to make an informed decision. Let me know which you’d like to start towards. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Upgrading the kernel and display stack is the one I haven’t tried, so let’s go with that. If it fails, I think I’ll just try another distro.

Ugh, after looking at this for a bit, we’re gonna have to go on an adventure. What we really would want to do, as a safe option, is backport the kernel from the upcoming Ubuntu release into our own PPA, but built against the older libraries that Ubuntu and Pop_OS 19.04 use. But I don’t really wanna teach you how to make your own Debian-type packages today, so we’re gonna try and upgrade you to the unreleased Ubuntu 19.10 instead. Let me see if Pop_OS has any publicly visible repositories for the 19.10 release; if not, we may break some Pop_OS integrations. :man_shrugging:

Do you have another computer to communicate from while we do the upgrade?

Oh hell yeah, Pop_OS is just a simple PPA on top of Ubuntu and they already publish for the upcoming Eoan release. This is gonna be ez-pz.