5700g vs 5700x on linux sffpc

Hi, I’m planning to upgrade my Ryzen 1700 with another 8/16 AMD CPU @65w for my SFFPC linux workstation.

My GPU is a Vega 56, so the 5700X could be the best option, but I want to know if I can have any advantage from the integrated GPU of the 5700G, for example using the integrated GPU while coding, and enable the dedicated GPU for gaming or heavy GPU software.

Also I use a 3 monitor setup, (1080, 2k and 2.5k huion kamvas tablet) so maybe could be possible to assign different GPUs for the main and tablet monitors, splitting the GPU power while working for example on Blender?

I use linux with X11 display server.

Thank you a lot.

The only advantage is if you want to do some virtual machine shenanigans with two GPUs, IMO.

The 5700G has lower clocks, lower memory speeds and PCIE 3.0. Better to go with the 5700X in almost all respects there. Of course, the 5700G does have it’s internal GPU, which means you can then retire your AM4 platform to a HTPC chassi or something once the 7000 series and AM5 comes along.

Depends if you’re planning on building new anytime soon, or not. I’m starting to save around $100 a month for a $700 AM5 system upgrade in late 2023, personally (running an RX 6600 that should be good until X-mas 2025).

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

Will the Vega 56 even fit in a SFF PC? If you are accounting for that, then probably 5700X. The iGPU offers you no benefit, unless, like wertigon said, you go for a VFIO build. But if you are already running Linux and don’t plan on using Windows, then the iGPU in the 5700G is useless.

And I’d say combining tasks on the 2 GPUs would actually slow you down. Even if you could split the tasks, it won’t scale linearly and more likely, you might have performance degradation because of the completely 2 different performance tiers. It’s likely that the Vega 56 will finish its tasks and then idle, while the iGPU will still be choking on tasks. And you can’t move a task from a GPU to the other on-the-fly, unless there is a task queue.

Now, I like to challenge people. Do you really need an upgrade from Zen 1 to Zen 3? In all honesty, I don’t see the point of this upgrade. The 1700 should still be plenty fast. I’d rather wait for AM5 and move to a Zen 4 8 core CPU.

Unless you reaaaallly need to save on space, then don’t bother upgrading yet.

1 Like

Why? Is it not supported in Linux?

Not that it’s not supported. It’s that you don’t need 2 GPUs for a single system. Unless it’s the very rare situations where you use an intel igpu for quicksync and a discreet one for other stuff, like gaming.

Or in the other cases, where you use the iGPU for hardware encoding and the discreet GPU for other tasks, dGPUs that lack that hardware encoder, like the RX 6400 and RX 6500/XT that lack AV1, HEVC and x265 encoding.

I’d say get the cheaper one. You wont get much expansion from an ITX build so the PCIe 4.0 being wasted isnt really a huge deal. A regular day to day usage wont probably max out the PCIe bandwidth too much unless you dabble in video production, meaning you probably will not notice the difference between an M.2 SATA SSD PCIe 3.0 from a PCIe 4.0.

One thing to consider is that if you intend to convert your desktop to a headless (videocardless) server in the future, a 5700G can make your system less difficult to manage since you wont need to plug in a videocard if you suddenly had a need for video output for troubleshooting purposes.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.