5700G APU [Cezanne] available in USA in HP Pavillion pre-built [TP01-2066] - currently $620 at OfficeDepot

This hit Youtube last week [ETAPrime’s channel] and was available at OfficceDepot for $550 last weekend [MSRP $699 USD]. Currently avaialble at $620…

I was able to pick one up for the $550 sale price, and it’s a great performer [and runs fine with Ubuntu 21.04, Mesa 21.1 and 5.12.1 kernel].

CPU performance o par with a Ryzen 5800 [non-X].
Assuming an MSRP of $300+ for the 5700G if/when it’s ever available at retail, it seemed like a great deal at $550, considering there’s a 256 GB NVMe SSD and a 16 GB 3200 MHz Samsung stick of memory included…

However, there’s a downside: I had planned to swap the APU with a 4650G I have running in an ASRock B550 motherboard, but it appears that HP has locked the TP01-2066 to 5x00 APUs only, I assume via BIOS [based on this Reddit thread…].

Has anyone else taken the plunge and tried an APU swap?

More info:
Motheboard and PSU are both HP proprietary:
Motherboard - Erica6, with B550A [B450] chipset.
PSU - 180W Gold, with unique connectors, no standard 20/24 pin connector, and no PCIE power output…

3 Likes

Can you post some pictures of the insides, I’d love to see all the possibilities

1 Like

Photos added below.

In addition to the installed DVD-RW drive, there’s room for a 3.5 SATA drive, and a 2.5" SATA drive, and then are SATA power cables pre-installed for two additional drives, and an extra SATA data cable [and there’s a third (open) SATA port on the m/board].

PSU is 180W, Gold, with 12 V only output.

Motherboard specs:
Erica6

1 Like

Photos:

I got the HP TP01-2066 as well. I have concluded that the M.2 slot (M.2 socket 3, Key M) in my system only uses 2 PCIe lanes and thus hamstrings the SSD in the M.2 slot. When I put the very same SSD in the PCIe x16 slot it gets twice the speed!
I wonder if anyone else has checked the M.2 slot performance on your system and would be interested in comparing in what you are seeing.

On my system CrystalDiskInfo lists the “Transfer Mode” for the SSD plugged into the M.2 slot as “PCIe 3.0 x2 | PCIe 3.0 x4”, i.e. the current transfer mode is “PCIe 3.0 x2” (using 2 lanes) while it supports “PCIe 3.0 x4”. Has anyone else checked what CrystalDiskInfo shows on your system?

On my system, using a SK hynix Gold P31 NVMe SSD, CrystalDiskMark shows the speed as 1787 / 1332 MB/s (SEQ1M Q8T1 Read / Write) with the SSD in the M.2 slot, and as 2336 / 1614 MB/s with the SSD in the PCIe x16 extension slot - i.e. roughly half of the speed when the very same SSD is in the M.2 slot vs. when in the PCIe x16 extension slot. Has anyone else tested and compared the speeds with a SSD in the M.2 slot and then in the x16 expansion slot?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.