4k Monitor that is good for gaming and productivity

As the title says, I am looking for a non-OLED monitor that is as good as possible for gaming without sacrificing productivity capabilities with things like text clarity issues ( Text being slightly fuzzy is okay, though not ideal. Having text be difficult to read is not acceptable. I would much prefer to avoid needing to use the various text clarity fixes, as my reading has found that the results are not reliable, with even the same product sometimes being saved and sometimes not) or requiring scaling. I am mainly interested in a ~43" screen, but I can do 32" if people are able to confirm that 4k @ 32" is usable without text/UI scaling for someone with 20/20 vision sitting ~50cm away (mounting it to a monitor arm to have it closer to my face is also acceptable).

An IPS panel is ideal, as long as it can manage good enough response times to avoid having a lot of smearing/ghosting at 120Hz. I am not a competitive gamer, so I am more interested in smoothness and image quality than I am in getting the fastest response times and lowest input latency. VRR is a major plus.

EDIT: It does not necessarily have to be a monitor. I am fine with using a TV as long as it can meet my needs for performance and productivity.

1 Like

if you want to dip your toe into HDR dont get anything less than HDR 1000

1 Like

I can recommend the GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U. I have it myself, I use it for gaming (it does have up to 144Hz in Windows or 120Hz in Linux), is non-OLED and does display text perfectly fine if you ask me.

2 Likes

The Dell was on my shortlist. It is currently on sale here in Canada too, which is nice.

I’ve just purchased the Dell above about 2 weeks ago now. It’s gorgeous! Very happy with purchase.

1 Like

I spent about $1400 on a UP3216Q several years ago and its been rock solid. Fact is that Dell may not make sexy parts, but damn are they solid.

The only reason im seriously considering the Asus is the HDR1000 and 1400 nits peak.

Buttt… since I daily Linux im not really in a hurry to buy an HDR monitor.

1 Like

Yeah, Windows text/scaling is not only awful it’s wildly inconsistent even between the exact same window or program from one day to the next. But I don’t think you’d have a choice at 32" @ 4K because whatever monitor you go with it’s going to be the same UI size at that spec. Everything is annoyingly small at 100%, but ridiculously big at a straight 200%.

I’m a fan of the InnoCN 32M2V, it’s basically the same panel and specs as the $2,500 PG32UQX but at a much more reasonable $800 when it’s available to buy. It is stocked infrequently yet sells out quickly every time.

It is 32" 4K 144hz, 99% Adobe RGB/DCI-P3, and 1152 zone FALD so it has proper HDR1000 capability with up to 1200nits brightness. The only thing better for HDR is OLED, but of course one can’t use those for productivity for long nor do they match the brightness unless you buy an OLED HDTV. So I went with the 32M2V, not a single bad pixel with mine. Only drawback is it doesn’t have Displayport 2.0 ports… but neither does the 4090. It requires DP 1.4 with DSC, or extremely good quality HDMI cables as it nearly maxes out the HDMI 2.1 spec.

1 Like

Dell seems like the Noctua of monitors; quality and performance first, flashy looks so distant a second that signals from Earth take twenty years to reach it.

I believe you can game in 1080p and let the monitor upscale the image to 4k and you will hardly see that the image has been upscaled while getting 1080p fps with a 4K image.

After verifying that I can comfortably get by without text scaling by using the 148 DPI screen on my Surface Laptop Gen 1 as a proxy, I have ordered the Dell from their official BestBuy Canada store for a grand total of 705 Canadian Dollars (about 515 USD right now). I will report back on my findings.

1 Like

I have both a Samsung LU32R590CWR 32" and a Samsung Smart Monitor M7 43". Works fine for browsing/text and 2D/TV/Film usage.

1 Like

I have the same monitor for my main screen, tought 43 knch would be a bit much but after time i learned to use the zones in linux to split my screen and be really productive. Never had problem reading on it, use my desktop without upscaling. I sit about 45-50cm from my monitor

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.