40x40 mm aluminum waterblock for 250w gpu?

I’m looking to put together a jank aliexpress watercooling setup for as cheap as possible. I’ve noticed that aluminum rads are about half the price of copper, however, aluminum blocks are nowhere to be found. I could find plenty of these though. (40*40*12mm Aluminium Water Cooling Waterblock Heatsink Block Liquid Cooler For CPU GPU Laser Head Industrial Control Cabinet|cooler for cpu|liquid coolerwater cooling - AliExpress)

would this be enough to cool a 250w gpu? (GPU in question is a nvidia tesla m40, basically GTX Titan X with no display outs) The product listing shows it mounted to some kind of gpu, but no watt numbers or indication of expected performance are given (i guess it matters on factors external to the block so it’s hard to rate them for wattage)

Without seeing the internal layout, I would say no way.

EKWB used to make Aluminium blocks, not sure if they still do.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.17.14 PM
this is a picture from the product page, looks like just a simple channel, likely no fins or anything. I’m not looking for amazing temps, just something that wont throttle. I’ve seen on LTT they used a flat copper block and it was “good enough”

What about cooling the Memory and power delivery?

I was planning to put small heatsinks on those and point a fan at it

1 Like

If you’re going to the trouble of liquid cooling with all the associated expense of pump, rad, tubes, barbs, etc. why cheap out on probably one of the most critical parts: the block, which transfers your gpu heat to the fluid?

I don’t get it.

I mean I would bet that the BOM cost savings for the whole setup by cheaping out on the block will likely be far outweighed by the reduction in performance.

1 Like

if there were good aluminum blocks I would get those. The only “legit” aluminum blocks I could find were from EKWB and they’re over $70, which was about how much I was planning to spend on the whole loop. I suppose it might be worth going copper, but these blocks are so cheap plus aluminum rads being cheaper it was just so tempting. Part of it is also the fun of putting together something so janky, and the thrill of being thrifty

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.