4090 Strix PCIe Bandwidth is x4

My 4090 Strix is only showing x4 PCIe bandwidth. How does this happen? How can I fix this? The gold bands on the card are not damaged the PCIe slot on my EVGA z790 dark is not damaged. I reset the CPU. I redownloaded the vga drivers. I’m not sure what to do. Should I flash a new VBIOS (I’ve never done that). The quiet mode on the card also shows x4 PCIe bandwidth. Any ideas? I will be most grateful thank you for any insights.

lower PCIe slot is only x4

2 Likes

Yeah take a look at the mobo and see how many lanes are actually supported for the slot its in.

Yes check which lanes are higher. Also cpu has nothing to do with the lanes you got so no need in reseeding that. I once had this issue a long time ago and it was the GPU not quite being in its slot correctly but enough to detect the card.

It’s in the upper slot

1 Like

Is there a 4x4x4x4 mode its in maybe?

1 Like

Is the GPU under load when you’re reading the speed?

1 Like

this. the setting is often labeled “bifurcation”

1 Like

How many PCI-e devices do you have plugged in? Just the graphics card?

Manual says both upper and lower will run in x16 if only one is populated.

Where are you getting the information that it is running in x4 mode?

1 Like

I think youre on the right track w/o any tangential input from me but it reminded me of something that happened to me. I would have called BS if someone asked about it but witnessing it 1st hand made me think.

I had a graphics card that had its fins running the length of the card. Some heat would be expelled out the back through the expansion slots. It seemed like a good design. I upgraded cards but the new one has the fins running across the card. What happens is dust get blown in and impacted into the pcie slot and I went to 3.0 x8 per GPUZ because of the crap getting blown into the slot.

Now I have a new chore of cleaning out the slot periodically which I never needed to do w the last card. I have been messing w ducts shunts and/or dams to just keep the forced air out of the slot.

Down to (@) x4 is probably not the same issue but just 2c worth of it can happen.

2 Likes