4-drive Linux Plex server build outgrown, ready to build my dream rackmount setup

I think given what I plan to do I may fill a decent amount of that space:

2x Computers (plex server and gaming PC)
Storage array
UPS
Switch/networking
my AV receiver

cooling, ease of build (i have fat fingers LOL) makes me feel like I should get larger cases for the computers themselves, like those 4u/5u rosewill ones.

I wish there was something between 24 and 42, but would rather have something larger to be safe than sorry. Worst case scenario I can mount a screen to the upper parts and have a shelf with mouse and keyboard (or even something mountable with those if i have the space)

Unless you have a specific reason to 5U is excessive for a rackmount case imo. 4U has a lot of dead space in them already.

I do not, i was just seeing a lot of rackmount cases for consumer hardware/gaming that were around that size (although they may have been 4u)

Yeah honestly unless you have a really tall cooler or GFX card I would try to stick to the 3U cases if possible. My personal preference is Sliger but there are lots of good options out there.

I have this and it is fine.

As you are thinking about location of the rack, notice that while width of a rack is standard (19") and the hight is chosen by you (42U), you also need to make a choice on the depth of your rack.

You will make that choice as you build your rack, it’s configurable. The depth you setup your rack with will limit to a certain degree the type of chassis you can mount, the exact version of rack rails or shelves you need for your rack, etc.

Common choices in data centers may not work well in your desired location for the rack. I have setup my rack with 24" depth, but much deeper configurations are common, too (>30").

2 Likes

Aight, so let’s do the math:

• Gaming requires only 3u
  • Plex and Storage are the same, I linked you a decent 2u unit, investing in additional HDD shelves are pointless unless you need more than 200TB storage
  • UPS is most probably a 2u unit
  • Switches are 1u
  • Routers are also 1u
  • No idea how big your AV receiver is, but let’s say 4u
  • Let’s leave 1u of room in between except for the Switch / router, total 5u

Doing the math, that is 18u required with spacing. So, while 42u is neat, it’s just waaay too big to be practical. I would still opt for a 26u personally, but you do you :slight_smile:

Oh this is a great breakdown ty! Just to confirm that last part - you’re saying there would be a total of 5u left over?

Yeah, you could pack it more dense but then cooling might be impacted. Space wise you could probably get away with a 16u beneath your desk, with 4u or 5u left over for two more machines. And that is without trying to space optimize, there are stuff like 2u dual ITX chassis available (but with questionable airflow), combined 1u router / switches, 1u AVRs…

The need for big, clunky and bulky 4u servers is mostly gone, unless we are talking doing special stuff like mining rigs or AI rigs with a ton of watercooling. And if you are seriously considering that route, you wouldn’t ask about it here :slight_smile:

Ah sweet okay that makes sense then thank you!

Im looking at the starteck 25u racks and i keep reading bad shit about them (similar complaints to the the 42 one). Not sure what to get at this point ugh

I beg to differ! As long as your willing to put together the rack and add in all the accessories diy style there are plenty of options on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=network+rack&crid=MK58AA05OKS8&sprefix=network+rack%2Caps%2C79&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I fear I might have been pushing a little too far here, my apologies. At the end of the day it is a question of space, a 42u rack or bigger requires a dedicated place somewhere, a 25u can be put underneath a staircase, and a 16u rack can be placed beneath a desk. Then again, a few sorting boxes for cables and unused parts plus a few rack shelves can efficiently make use of unused units in a 42u rack, too! After all, if you think about it a rack is just a ventilated closet for computers :grin:

If you feel you have the space for it, a 42u is perfectly fine. Me personally I do not have that kind of space which is why I always think in space optimization terms, feel free to do what you think works best though!

[edit]Another way to use a big rack could be as a tight desk. Let the equipment sit from unit 28u and above, a screen on shelf at 16u, voila, all computing you would need in a tiny space with good leg room![/edit]