3x3 Dual Monitor KVM Matrix Switch?

I am currently trying to realize the following project:

I have a server rack with a number of computers (gaming, work, …). Each computer has two monitor outs (Displayport 1.4) and a single peripheral out (USB-C 10Gbps). Now I want to make those computers available at various locations (2-3). Distance varies between 10 - 30+ meters.

There are already a number of fiber optic solutions out there to solve the distance issue (fibercommand, heyoptics) and I could basically have one of those multi cables to each terminal location:

MPO Fiber Connection

What is missing now is basically a switching unit in my server rack that allows me to say ComputerXYZ passthrough to TerminalXYZ.

What I thought about are three possible directions:

A) A (custom?) Displayport/USB KVM that has two DP1.4 and one USB-C input for each PC (2-3). If I understand correctly should be something like a matrix switch?

B) Switching the fiber cable (at the MPO24 connection). But my initial research showed that switches like those cost in the region of 5-10K.

C) Build my own switch utilizing a number of 3-to-1 bidirectional DP1.4/2.1 switches. The switching between each individual splitter I could orchestrate via an ESP32 controller with Home Assistant.

*important parameters: Displayport 1.4 (4K 144Hz via DSC, better 2.1); USB-C (min. 3.1 with 10Gbps)

there are < 5k options that are hdmi 2.0 (4k/60) but no freesync and no gsync.

The least expensive option is to clone the displays (hardware or software) then “normal” KVM at each terminal to pick which of the outputs you want to look at, this is probably good for up to 4k/60, maybe 4k/90 on a good day. maybe or maybe not freesync depending on some options.

this works best if the display geometry is the same at all locations. If you want this for 4k/144 @ 3 locations, 2 monitors each location, with 3 possible input PCs, I can do it… but it won’t be less than $10k…

have you heard of parsec? parsec isn’t a bad option. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks wendell for the quick reply. What do you think about option “C”?

This should be feasible right? A single 3x1 splitter supports 4K 144Hz and they are around 30$ each.

For 3 PCs and 3 Terminals I need 4 of them (120$). With 2x 0.5M DP cables to link them together say 150$.

Similar solution for USB-C … lets say another 150$ (still looking into that), an ESP32 (10$) and some minor parts. So I should end up with around 350-400$?

Fiber cables as mentioned above of course on top.

I think that should be the best solution? 10K is a bit steep indeed … :wink:

The solution has to be hardware based with full DP1.4 support (144Hz). Parsec or similar software tools do not fit my requirements.

the 4x4 kvms are $1200 and would work if you had the 3x1 hardware splitters, but I haven’t found any 3x1 4k/144 splitters that actually work. in this case you’d need 3x dual monitor 4 pc KVMs though? around $2k for just that?

it’d be easy if you strip out hdcp but they get… angry… if you do that

1 Like

No I was talking about those devices. Splitting the Video / USB as mentioned in OPTION C. Bundling together 4 of those should give 3x3 matrix switching for Displayport with 4K 144Hz.

(sample device … there is also a 3x1 version)

So it works!

I can confirm that putting 2x DP2.1 switches (2x1) in a row worked as intended. And i also was able to remote control the switches and orchestrate logic via home assistant.

So I am going to build that switching device myself. Progress will be documented on github (search for “Remote-PC-Switch”).

1 Like