3990X and MSI Creator TRX40 anyone been able to boot Linux?

Got a 3990X and an MSI Creator TRX40 over the weekend. Build was lengthy but it now boots to the bios setup screen. Everything looks great. Temps look good, memory is showing up properly and the M.2 and other storage devices are showing correctly.

I tried booting Centos 7 and also tried Ubuntu 18.04.03.

Ubuntu hung with a black screen so not sure what its issue was. Centos 7 took forever then exited to the boot prompt and wasn’t able to start setup. There was some blurb related unrecognized CPU etc but I can socialize the details later if I’m able to upload images - new here :slight_smile:

Do I need to update the motherboard Bios if this has been successful or should I try a different Linux distro? Haven’t tried booting Windows 10 but after work I will try that.

Any pointers gratefully accepted.

Thanks,
Vince

I think a bios update is a solid starting point. After that…I don’t know. Maybe missing some patches needed for support in the kernel?

1 Like

Hey, Vincei my advice would be to see first if you can boot up Windows first before I would start messing around with the motherboards bios. I am currently running Linux Mint 19.3 on my new AMD Ryzen 3700x desktop and so far other than a few mistakes (which I have fixed my self) despite being new to the Linux world, it has been a dream. If you want to try Linux I would either make a live USB stick of the latest version of Arch Linux (I wouldn’t recommend if you are new to the Linux world and at least have some understanding of how Linux works, Arch Linux is basically for advanced users) Ubuntu or Linux Mint. If you want to stay with a distro based on Centos I would try Fedora.

The reason Centos 7 and Ubuntu 18.04 probably didn’t work is that the Linux kernel used for those distros by default is just too old. I am currently on Linux kernel 5.3 generic. You probably going to need either 5.4 or 5.5. I believe 5.5 stable just got pushed, so it will take time before the distros will apply that kernel version. What I would do is wait six months to a year before I try Linux, or make a live USB stick of the latest Linux distros and whichever distro worked that’s the one that gets installed.

The other thing you might want to do is add the helpdesk flag to your post title.

1 Like

I think I’ll try Window 10 first before updating the bios. I don’t want to go down too many rabbit holes simultaneously.

It is on my list to do depending upon how other things pan out.

Thanks,
Vince

Hi Shadowbane,

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve updated the tags to include helpdesk. I can take a stab at trying Arch if I don’t get anywhere with trying to boot windows. I tried ubuntu because when I got a 2990 last year it worked without any issues - but I do hear you regarding support for the latest hardware in the distros kernel. Who knows. I ask here in case Wendel or any of the Level1Teshs folks have run into same. After all, Wendel did review the TRX40 not too long ago.

Cheers,
-Vince

1 Like

Ubuntu 18.04 is old, Centos is not very up to date either.

Try Manjaro or Clear Linux (guess Wendell used it on his tests)

2 Likes

You’ll need to grab this bios update from the msi website for the 3990x support as it specifically mentions adding support for Threadripper 3390x CPU’s.

• Update CastlePeakPI-SP3r3 1.0.0.3 to support THREADRIPPER 3990X CPU.
2 Likes

@vincei Are you aware of the “MCE Error” on boot that affects Threadripper and many versions of Linux? It is described in this Level1Techs video:
Threadripper 3000 Launch - How’s Linux?
and at Phoronix:
The Workaround To Boot Linux On AMD Threadripper 3960X/3970X Systems

It isn’t clear whether this issue would cause exactly the symptoms you see, but it might be worth trying the workaround. The issue should be fixed in Linux kernel 5.5 but that is pretty recent.

1 Like

Hi Geep, Gentlemen:

Yup, I needed that BIOS upgrade. After installing it I could not get Manjaro to start after its welcome screen. It would display trash on the screen and that was it. Good news was Ubuntu 18.04.03 was now to start. The bad news is it would not play nice with the M.2 installed in the system and I had to power off after some odd behavior. Upon restart I tried to install again but LVM install was giving all sorts of weird errors. I restarted again and did a standard install onto the 4TB Sata drive i’d install along with all the other media. apt update/upgrade brought in 5.3 and 5.0 kernels. After a reboot 5.3 hung soon after probing USB. The weird thing was even though it was hung plugging in and unplugging devices would be reported by the kernel boot screen but it would proceed no further. I went into special options and selected booting the 5.0.0 kernel and that started all the way thru to gnome. Nouveau wouldn’t id my Nvidia 1660Ti so I downloaded the latest driver for it from Nvidia and installed that and rebooted. Machine came up and I have full display on a 4k monitor. nice. Just installed sshd and will play around with it some more.

Not smooth sailing but I do have something running. I need to look into the M.2 issue and find out if there’s a resolution for the 5.3 kernel hang. Then again I may be one of the first treading this path.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions and tips. Don’t know why it took me so long to join the forum :slight_smile:

Cheers,
-Vince

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I will review and see whether it explains some of the weirdness I was seeing once I was able to run an installer without it failing.

Definitely will be trying any workaround if the video explains the stuff I’m seeing.

Cheers,
Vince

Hi Vince,

Any updates on your build? I am considering doing a similar build (3970X instead of 3990X), with the MSI Creator TRX40 and Ubuntu 20.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.