3960x - disabling voltage boost , no OC

Hi guys

I have this problem. First of all I’m not very OC savy on TR. I never liked to play with voltages, because let’s name it right here - I’m shit scared of screwing something. Spending so much dosh to burn your only workstation - or in other words it’s my car which I don’t have or need. Is there any way to disable boosting on CPU, just set it to 3800 MHz at voltage xyz and prevent this daft boosting? On old ZE it was about 30 seconds in BIOS on one page. On Designare doesn’t really matter what I set-up.

My 3960x boosts with crazy voltage even if I don’t do anything. Anything up to 1.475V which is nuts. Everything is stock and I’m just too stupid to figure it out. Gigabyte BIOS is a mess compared to Asus and if they’ve offered PCIe slot spacing Gigabyte has I would go another Asus, but they have really weird line-up this time around. I have never encountered such issues with plethora of Intel systems I’ve built or encountered during my life… if only 3175-X wasn’t a 1kW CPU…

I’ve tried to set in BIOS on my TRX40 Designare (which was not as smooth sailing as Wendell implied during his review :wink: ) manual voltage of about 1.20V and 38 multiplier (which is set by default anyway) and still V pumped is without changes.

I don’t use my CPU for anything special, just had to dump old 1st gen TR which was really getting on my nerves. All my rendering is done on GPUs and most taxing thing is Affinity Photo which scales perfectly on all cores (unlike Adobe abominations) or rare instance of video encoding. I was really concerned yesterday, was playing at night few games of World of Warships and noticed my coolant temp went to 35-36C which is just stupidly high considering I hit 40-41C when my dual GPUs rendering at full blast with 3x360 rads. CPU was hammered with so much voltage without any reason and one card drew 180W while second was idling at 8W. WTH?

I think the boost are somewhat normal and expected behavior with 3xxx chips.

There is more to CPU voltages than just one setting. “Voltage xyz” as you called it is just a baseline clock. I think connected with boost is also setting LLC Load-line Calibration, which if I’m not correct sets the curve of the line for boost. So you can actually set base clock low, but when you select “Extreme” LLC it basically means that voltage should “extreme”-ly change with the boost-ed Hz.

Before you change, read about this setting, because I’m not 100% sure if it is the correct name for TR (I might have remember the name from Intel).

@Vorlon - I’m curious, were you able to find a way to achieve the results you desired?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.