3950x PBO safe?

I have tried the settings AHC video demonstrated on my 3950x (Aorus Pro X570)

I notice the performance improvement with these settings, the processor is taking advantage of the thermal headroom I have.

My question is, is there a possibility of degrading my chip using these settings in long run? I do heavy VRAY animation renders with my machine and even on my lighter tasks regularly max out the CPU.

I saw some people saying that even auto PBO settings can sometimes degrade a chip.

It is really hard to say. PBO varies widely across boards and chips.

What voltage are you seeing under heavy load?

1 Like

As long as your voltage isn’t too high, I don’t see why your chip will degrade, if at all. Just make sure your VRMs are cool and the cpu itself gets adequate cooling.

1 Like

During Cinebench R20 multicore test I am seeing 1.306 steady or less in Core 0-15 VID column.

When I am browsing web or just doing light tasks I am seeing occasional maximum of exactly 1.500V but this is short burst and normal . right?

Maximum temps are around 80C with the rad fans and pump in medium setting and never get higher. I use 360mm AIO from Thermaltake, Floe Riing premium.

I don’t understand the values well but CPU PPT shows 166W when load and maximum 185W.
Core +SoC Power shows 148W.

Is VRM MOS the correct value to check in HWINFO? Mine gets no higher than 63C

Don’t worry about it (VRM). As for your cpu voltages, I’m not sure about that voltages the 3950X can run at, I wouldn’t worry about it at all, since AMD programmed it. Just keep your cpu package cool and you’re golden.

1 Like

Thanks, yeah. I am quite rather happy with the performance of the system. I am getting 9518 in Cinebench R20 which should realistically represent the workload this baby will see , as I do 3D rendering using VRAY.

Cinebench R20 Single core will keep the VID values around 1.47 - 1.5V.

Your voltages seem fine but I would do some benches to see what your power draw, temps and speeds are with both PBO on and PBO off.

Often times PBO does nothing or very little to increase performance while just causing very high temps and higher power draw

1 Like

VRAY usually takes a long time right, in that case you usually see voltage spikes when you go from a low CPU usage state to a high state but it immediately drops if you sustain the load

So really all you have to worry about is if your VRM will explode or not

1 Like

Thanks guys. I made a VRAY test with heavy scene with both the PBO and XFR turned on and those settings. And the difference was within margin of error, while the PBO and XFR turned on gave me 10C higher temps and much more power draw.
I think I will be totally satisfied with my 3950x with stock settings and with a quiet fan settings for my AIO.

Well yeah in certain workloads upping the pbo power limits could help some.
But honestly your mileage could vary from cpu to cpu.
I personally wouldn’t really bother with trying to overclock a 3900x or 3950x.
Because AMD pretty much already tweaked them to what they can do,
within stable marges.
The performance increase in most cases is just marginal at best.
So yeah i don’t really see much reasons to overclock them.

But pbo should basically be safe.
Because it should clock the cpu back as soon it’s hitting it’s thermal limits.

Ryzen simply does not overclock well at all.
So i wouldn’t really bother.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.