32G Optane M10 as an SSD laptop Cach on Linux?

So a new laptop I am likely to grab soon will be the System76 Gazelle. (Gazelle - System76)

While checking the specs and spotting the secondary M.2 slot (gen3, the primary is gen4 500G) and knowing I will not be using it for extra storage I was wondering if I could make any practical use of a 32G Optane drive (MEMPEK1J032GA) I have lying around in this slot as a cach drive.
(A brief bit of googling showed me this guide: ubuntu-how-to-use-intel-optane-memory-for-ssd-caching - Codenotary)

I am immediately reminded of @wendell 's H10/20 video and the productivity benefits he showed off although I am unsure if it is worth my trouble experimenting with the second drive on Linux where I am lacking all the intel tools. Also if it would even be of any benefit or more likely just cause me more headaches than it is worth.

Has anyone experimented with running a laptop with a similar Hardware/Linux config? If so I would love to hear how it went. What benefits if any have you seen?

(Baring in mind I am a network engineer who gets quite confused going above layer one for to long ha ha)

Also thinking about it the 13th gen chip may also present issues as support was dropped from 12th…

Not sure if this conclusion makes a lot of sense. I think you’ll be hard pressed to notice the performance difference between a Gen3 and Gen4 NVMe in real-life workloads.
It makes even less sense when you consider using an outdated, 2-lane, low capacity Optane NVMe drive instead of a 4-lane, high-capacity, higher performance NAND-based NVMe drive.

Ah sorry, I think I must not have made it clear

I am not using something like a H10 and booting off of that I was thinking about retaining the gen 4 drive as my boot drive, putting a 32G M10 (Just Optane with no auxiliary flash) in the 3.0 slot next to it and using it as a cach for frequently called files.

I doubted I would see much of a difference in this config but wanted to see if anyone had tried it as I had the hardware on hand.

1 Like