3 failed Seasonic Power Supplies last 6 months. No longer top Tier?

So Just a PSA. I have had 3 Seasonic power supplies fail in the last 6 months. The first was for my step daughter’s AMD FX build PC which I built in 2016. It has a G series 650 watt. She took it with her when she moved out 2017. Failed About 3 months ago. Warranty is up in February. I wasn’t too upset these things do happen. I put the same model PSU in my Ryzen 2000 PC I built in 2018. Failed also within the last month. Not happy. Both are 80 plus Gold rated. I see that they are now discontinued. Now I know why. To their credit seasonic replaced both.

I built my wife a ryzen 2000 rig in June 2019 with a Focus + Gold 650 watt unit that has a 10 year warranty. Now today, while doing some word processing, her PC failed in spectacular fashion with a smoke and a fireworks show. Thankfully it only ruined itself. I put another known good PSU in and it came back up. Whew!!! Anyway i bought all of these from Amazon if that matters. Does Amazon push Seasonic to put out crap at a lower price? I thought I was doing a good thing ordering 80 plus gold power supplies from a top tier manufacturer. We are gamers, but not hardcore overclockers or anything. Was I mistaken about Seasonic quality? Just bitten by bad luck? or is Bezos strong arming the manufacturer to release an inferior product to lower the price?

1 Like

it might be down to a bad batch of luck and bad supply chain… or they could have stopped being their own manufacture and gone to some one else and just slap a sticker on it now.( i think superflower was seasonic suppler at one point.)

2 Likes

how’s energy supply?

using power surge or something?

1 Like

I was kind of surprised to find out that this forum considered Seasonic “top-tier” in the first place.

They’re the only power supply brand I’ve seen release magic smoke under normal operating conditions, and I wrote them off years ago.

1 Like

They are top tier in certain models only. The real reason people stroke themselves about them is they are the OEM. A lot of other ‘manufacturers’ are just specing models that get built in a factory they contract or through business partnerships. Which isn’t really a bad thing either.

The non plus focus line, I think that’s GX, is the only one I would consider. Others have glaring issues.

1 Like

I think the power we get is clean. I have our rigs on monster brand surge protectors for what that’s worth. My step daughter is a few states away. I’m not sure what she’s got going on power wise. I ended up sending her an EVGA PSU.

1 Like

I thought super flower were good too, I know there was big noise made when they finally released under their own name here and 8pack at OCUK was putting them in all his record attempt systems and custom builds if you bought one.

they are… but suppler chains can change from year to year just look at corsair.

1 Like

I’d rather not…

2 Likes

So what is the go to product then, If there is one? I previously hadn’t had a PSU fail except for an Antec I plugged into an OEM Dell motherboard that was wired differently. oops. I’ve had some really sketchy unbranded crap over years. Like PSUs that come with cases and stuff. IDK just frustrated.

There was a PC I built for my sister 15+ years ago that I went office space on in end. it was never stable after being built. Looking back on it could have been the PSU or was it was just a POS.

Have you tried putting a ups in front of it? a surge is one thing, but brown outs (even in the middle of the night) will destroy just about anything given the chance

1 Like

I am going to get a couple of UPS for our computers after this mess. But the way this last one exploded I think it was faulty components. Seasonic already approved the RMA for it.

@doba36079 I’ve had the opposite experience with Seasonic as you. I have 3 Seasonic PSUs and they are all going strong. At least one is from 2012 and the others are from 2016 or 2018 I think. I’ve never had any problems.
I was aware before purchasing that my power was shitty. It would drop out for 1-2 seconds before coming back on so I put all my expensive electronics on UPSes.

Seasonic generally has good units.
If so many units fail in such a matter of short period of time after eahother.
Then i would suggest to double check your house elektrical installation.

It could be a matter of really bad luck.
But if two units fail after eachother in such a short time frame.
then i would raise some questions there.

3 Likes

IIRC there was another thread recently with someone having a failed EVGA unit.

Well yeah of course there is still electronics involved which could always fail.
My Enermax psu is 7 years old and still going strong. :slight_smile:

I’d just chalk it up to bad luck. I nearly avoided a bullet with my Corsair SF600 Platinum. The batch just before the one I bought were all recalled for issues. I would’ve lost it if I had to take apart AGAIN my SFF build.

But I also think that Amazon might get some shit batch of products. I went through three Logitech webcams from them, all defective. And one of my friend is having issues with his aswell (three different models of webcam).

In “my” ATX build I have a Seasonic Focus Gold 750W and it’s working great while a Cooler Master V650S gave up after 3 years.

Maybe for the future I’d suggest that you all get a good pure sine wave UPS to protect your builds, just in case it wasn’t a bad batch of products but just the current that’s fluctuating a lot sometimes.

Only had 1 trash tier Corsair and 1 EVGA fail both were lower end units.

This is a little bit old but still relevant

3 Likes