3 days to buy best ram for the cash

in three days ill have the cash to grab either 32gb or 64gb of 3200mhz ram

id prefer the full 64gb to fully load out my Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard with 5600x

note i want 64gb for my needs an in the past iv bought for my two older other builds

32gb an at the time i load one with 4 single 8gb 3200mhz not a kit an the other 2 set of 8gb

this will be the first with 64 an i do plan to go back an upgrade both to 64gb

but for now im aiming for 64gb my budget of available cash on the 30th 220$ this will include sh&tx

im looking for the best i can get for that amount i dont care about rgb tho if its got it im ok with that

the speed from 3200 to 3600 an cas from 16 to 22 an id prefer singles as this has done me well in the past but 2 kits of 16gb id go for to if ther good

these are my current picks

4 x Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (id get the 3rd later)

4 x TEAMGROUP Elite 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory

(if the cas 22 is just 10 - 15% slower then cas 16 id be fine with that speed isnt as important as amount to my needs)

2 x G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

just fyi in case anyone’s got to ask before advising

why so much ram aside from gaming at 1080p 144hz as some at 1400p i mainly do hi rez image an

pix editing an creation 10000x8000 min at 200 to 300dpi an also vid editing

on my previous build i found with 32 some of my projects chew up wards of 24 - 27gb , an with my os pulling 2 to 3.2 on avg it could choke or freeze ,

so based on project specs an parameters an memory calculators an some friends systems 64gb is were i need to be an leave plenty of breathing room

even tho all three of my mobo can go up to 128gb i dont see ever needing that much 64gb is just right

also how much of a performance bite is ther between cas 16 at 3200 or 3600 an cas22 at 3200 or 3600

My goto DDR4 sticks in the past couple of years are Crucial Ballistix gaming sticks for its huge overclockability and excellent reliability (even overclocked beyond incredible). Sadly and hardly understandable, Crucial discontinued its Ballistix DDR4 products early this year. I’m now in the market for a pair of 32GB DIMMs as well but not in urgent need. Love to hear what folks would recommend.

The 2nd pair (TEAMGROUP) in your list is JEDEC standard 3200 DDR4 sticks. The other are “gaming sticks” (aka factory overclocked). If you don’t plan to overclock aka manually tune settings yourself, you probably should consider gaming sticks at the right speed and timings you plan to spend. The lower CL values and timings the better. But we’re perhaps talking about 5-10% performance difference at most in applications.

1 Like

You want 64 GB yet you didn’t even bother to look for 32G sticks?

My pick would be this, $195 for 2x32 GB which will then run both faster and with less latency than 4x16, as well as allow upgrades to 128 GB if you need it.

It is $10 more than your Aegis kit and cheaper than both your single stick options, too. Well worth it.

2 Likes

Added Vengeance LPX 64GB to my watch list. A customer review written in May on Amazon said he got Micron revision B dies. So likely that’s the chips of latest production batches. Micron rev B seems pretty good for overclock. Some said better than revision E dies. @wertigon do you have experience with this pair?

1 Like

I’d bump it up to 3600mhz, they don’t cost that much more

if you will never need more than 64GB then I recommend getting 2 2x16GB kits of the corsair 3600Mhz kits
you will receive a benefit from running multiple ranks per channel as well as running your fabric and memory controller at a decent speed

3 Likes

I’m rocking 2x16 GB sticks in my build, my wife is rocking 2x16 GB in hers, my mother-in-law is rocking 2x16 GB sticks in her build and my sister-in-law is rocking 4x8 GB in hers. All run XMP profiles no problems.

According to Linux, this is the relevant lshw, with part number CMK32GX4M2E3200C16:

$ sudo lshw -short -C memory
H/W path                Device          Class          Description
==================================================================
/0/9                                    memory         32GiB System Memory
/0/9/0                                  memory         [empty]
/0/9/1                                  memory         16GiB DIMM DDR4 Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) 3200 MHz (0,5 ns)
/0/9/2                                  memory         [empty]
/0/9/3                                  memory         16GiB DIMM DDR4 Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) 3200 MHz (0,5 ns)
2 Likes

32GB per DIMM is guaranteed to be dual rank per DIMM because DDR4’s state-of-the-art manufacturing process is only 16Gbit density dies. So the recommendation should be exactly the opposite of what you said. Regardless OP will stick to 64GB forever, or taking the option to add another 64GB of the same DIMMs in future, he should buy a pair of 32GB now, not anything less density.

I agree with you paying a few bucks more going from 3200 to 3600 for convenience and for OP because I believe he won’t manually tune memory settings himself.

1 Like

nice catch
then I would recommend 2 kits of these if they are absolutly sure they will never upgrade higher than 64GB

I got some nice 3D Mark scores on the 5600X with 4 ranks per channel

1 Like

as its a dual channel board. get the lowest latency 3600 or 3733 2x32gig sticks…
yeah its nice to populate all 4 slots. but sometimes that can come at the cost of stability

I’m glad that memory ranks have been brought up, if performance is important than you also need to consider memory bandwidth and not just raw capacity and speed.

As far as DDR4 on non-HEDT, you want to be running dual rank and dual channel for optimal performance. This can be either 1R x 1R x 1R x 1R or 2R x 2R, but the latter puts less strain on the memory controller if overclocking is important. 32GB DIMMs are always dual rank, but keep in mind that 16GB DIMMs can go either way.

As a personal anecdote, I had a 10900KF that seemed sluggish on a single 2x16GB kit of single rank SK hynix, doubling up with a second kit absolutely fixed the “issue”. I had previously never gone above 51% usage of 32GB, so if capacity was my only concern then I wouldn’t have realized bandwidth was the issue.

3 Likes

I ran all 4 dimms at dual rank 3933 16…16.16 with a 3600 kit with 1:1 fabric on the 5600X at the office
Not that I’m gonna assume all chips can do that but I figured it could do that at 3600 and dual rank in all 4 dimms

My sample size is only one

3 Likes

to update all iv bought the ram now , so based on the cash i had i sale at the moment

i went with 2 sets of

G.Skill Aegis Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 DDR4 3200 CL16-18-18-38 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GIS

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.