2U chassis and cooler for 5950X

Hello there,

Can anyone recommend a 2U chassis and cooler for the 5950X? I’m planning an external JBOD so don’t need lots of storage bays.

I also don’t have a mobo selected yet but thinking I narrow down chassis first.

Cheers, Pete

Dynatron A24 for the rotated server layout. This one might be loud according to reviews on Amazon.

I tried a Coolserver R63 on a 5900X. All core stress test had the chip clocked at 3900MHz with PPT set to ~140W, all while sounding like a jet engine. The heatpipe surface that contacts the CPU heatspreader isn’t exactly what you’ll call flat, and i suspect that’s part of the reason why it doesn’t perform well.
It does perform decently on my i7 4770 and i5 12500, which idles most of the time. I think it’s a decent option if you can keep your CPU power limit under 120W.

I’m not particularly a fan of low profile heat sinks that blow air downward into the motherboard; in my experience, the exhausted hot air is sucked back into the heat sink and recirculated, creating a hot spot around the cooler.

3500-7000 rpm is always noisy.

If you want something quiet, 1U-2U is really bad. Also fitting ATX PSU in 2U isn’t always possible. And you have to stick to 80mm case fans too…3U and 4U has space for 120mm case fans and 92mm Noctua and Arctic 120mm options.

More U is less noise.

1 Like

Yup, you can’t beat physics. :slight_smile:

You can, but you’ll end up blocking the intake fans, which isn’t ideal when the machine is under load.

Also probably why you rarely see this design because it create problems, which doesn’t exist if you use 1U or Flex ATX PSUs.

Is the 2U a limitation your mandate, or literally that short on rack estate?

Given you still have to purchase the hardware, consider used EPYC components. Not much more costly then the Ryzen option but the SP3 platform has more options for 2U cooling. If you stick to (new) Ryzen, I too recommend at least 3U or taller enclosures.

3 Likes

Dynatron provides really good specs on their products and has a couple of alternatives that you may want to look at. I’ll list a few that match your filter for AM4 and 2U size.

cooler type, fan size, heat diss.,noise at 20% load, at 50%, at 100% , power at 50%, at 100%
Dynatron A24: air cooled, 60mm fan,       120W,     17.0 dBA  , 31.9 dBA, 51.2 dBA,     1.68 W  ,  9.6 W 
Dynatron A47: air cooled, 60mm fan,       145W,     25.8 dBA  , 44.4 dBA, 59.8 dBA,     2.76 W  , 18.0 W
Dynatron A43: passive air,  no fan,       120W, tbd: depends on case cooling.
Dynatron U10: air cooled, 90mm fan,       125W,     22.3 dBA  , 26.1 dBA, 36.2 dBA,     0.5  W  ,  1.6 W
Dynatron L34: liquid, 4x 80mm fans,       250W,     24.7 dBA  , 42.8 dBA, 57.1 dBA,     3.84 W  , 22.8 W
Dynatron L35: liquid, 3x 80mm fans,       250W,     25.6 dBA  , 47.8 dBA, 64.4 dBA,     5.52 W  , 24.7 W
Dynatron L19: liquid, 2x 70mm fans,       250W,     31.7 dBA  , 38.4 dBA, 46.4 dBA,     3.24 W  , 7.92 W

Interesting to see the compromises in regards to performance, size, power consumption, noise. Unfortunately, we can only guess how much performance (heat dissipation) is achieved at 50% load (of fan).

IMHO a 5950X will be heat throttle with a 120W heat dissipation spec’ed cooler (A24). If you plan on overclocking I’d look at the liquid cooling options. Among those, I don’t know how they managed to achieve a 250W heat dissipation with less and smaller fans that use less power and run quieter (L19). Either there is witchcraft involved, or maybe a typo in the spec sheet somewhere :slight_smile:

I find retail availability not quite at the same level as other consumer brands - I was able to find most cooler models listed by reputable dealers on eBay.

3 Likes

Thanks for the cooler suggestions. I’m not concerned about noise as I’m racking in my garage.

I did look at EPYC (and Threadripper) but the retail costs appear to be 10x for maybe a 2-3x performance in the benchmarks that matter to me.

What kind of deals do you see for used EPYC and where is the best place to look? Can you get to anywhere near say… 2x retail price for 5950X?

At this point I plan to design my own, but that project is paused while I wait for some fixes to WINE.

My intent is to build a motherboard module that supports Mini and Micro ATX.

Great comparison. Thank you.

Dynatron A47 looks like a good option as I don’t care about noise and covers the 5950X up to peak workload.

What might be a good 2U chassis for this? I can rack at the top and I don’t mind cutting into the case top to give some extra airflow.

The place to look for is Aliexpress. But beware of overpriced parts!

Mainboard, Supermicro H11SSL-i
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005010591848.html

CPU, AMD EPYC 7551P (32c/64t)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003104642841.html

Cooler, 2U with fan:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004556694860.html

Alternative CPU, EPYC 7401P (24c/48t):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005197604081.html

Now, apart from the alternative CPU, I purchased all of the above parts from those shops earlier this year (prices then differed from current!). Also, you’ve noticed I didn’t mention RAM yet. I have this setup running on 2 sticks of 8GB RDIMMs, but as funds permit I’ll be upgrading that to 4x 32GB Samsung M393A4K40DB3-CWE sticks. Please note if you’re using different RAM sticks, they need to be RDIMM or LRDIMM, regular RAM won’t work (guess how I found out :roll_eyes: ).

This particular mainboard comes with 2x SFF8643 connectors on the board. This is the corresponding 4xSATA breakout cable I bought for it:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004403128110.html

Lastly, I found this adapter board for 4x M.2 NVMe drive to one of the 16x slots, allowing for fast large storage access if populated with 2TB drives (which are getting cheaper by the day/week!) Requires a 4x4x4x4 bifurcation setting in BIOS for the chosen slot. I have it working with just 2 drives (both PCIe gen 3, the board doesn’t support PCIe gen 4 so paying for that is a waste of money. Until you upgrade the board that is :stuck_out_tongue: ).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005186941984.html

Buying used hardware has a risk, but so far all the items work. Also, buying from Aliexpress has a risk, but every time a shop did not deliver what I purchased (a few times over the past decade or so) I got my money back from Aliexpress w/o much hassle, if any at all. Worth noting that using a credit-card is actually a smart idea for Aliexpress, as it simplifies money returns.

HTH!

3 Likes

hell yeah. These are great prices for EPYC.

Decided to roll the dice with Ali express. Just ordered the board + EPYC 7601 as this will comfortably outperform the 5950X and is easier to rack into 2U.

Thanks for the tips @Dutch_Master :fire:

2 Likes

Also decided to go with Rosewill RSV-Z2900U 2U Server Chassis

1 Like

@Dutch_Master what RAM did you go with for this board?

I’ll be upgrading to these soon™. Do note that the manual indicates that although single and dual RAM sticks are supported, the advised minimum is 4 sticks.

Also, it’s very likely you won’t be able to log in to the BMC as the seller doesn’t provide details on the login. You can reset the BMC login/password with a Python-based CLI tool from the SuperMicro website, but be careful as it’ll reset all logins of all SM boards it’ll find on the local network! Said tool needs some digging on the SM website to find, I did post a direct link elsewhere but can’t find it ATM, sorry :anguished: After use, the login will be ADMIN (in capitals!) and the password will be noted on the board near the CPU socket. Again, capital or lower case matters!

HTH!

2 Likes

Could you please take a look and share that link?
We are using freedos with ipmicfg.exe and it takes ages…

Anyways, if someone stumbles on this thread. In the future, I want to leave a note.

Epyc is generally a good idea, it supports cheaper memory (server r dimm) , is meant for higher temperatures and 24/7 use and packs a hefty punch for its price.

However (!) it can take its toll with a steeper plunge on power, meaning your electricity bill can and will be higher.

Also certain applications generally like higher frequencies and lower core counts more, especially when talking about boost clock it can be a significant downside.

Lastly, it just my personal opinion, Epyc can be an absolute b1&€@ to install. With its massive socket, one wrong move can be very costly. Look at an Ryzen with AM4, even a toddler could look at the golden triangle and slot it correctly.

I personally are preferring epyc and its a good decision to go this route, but its important to be informed before you make a decision.

p.s. Never buy AMD PSB locked CPUs. Its not worth it, no matter how deep the discount is! This applies to Ryzen and Epyc alike.

BR!

1 Like

Had another look and remembered in which thread I posted it in. Here’s the direct link to the directory, don’t tell SuperMicro how you found it! :wink:
https://www.supermicro.com/wdl/BMC_Unique_Password/

As for installing EPYC, I didn’t have a torque screwdriver so I couldn’t properly torque the socket installing the CPU. I did have a screwdriver with the correct Tork bit (#20, IIRC) so I carefully turned that as evenly as I could and wary not to take it too far. The cooler on top ensured proper contact pressure. I have no issues so far: temps are great, all PCIe slots work, other connections function as expected. Although this was my first EPYC build, I’ve been building PC’s for the better part of a quarter century so I entrusted myself with the task :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I was looking at 2x64GB MEM-DR464L-CL02-LR26 which newegg has for $108/stick = $216 but this isn’t as cost effective as 4x32GB M393A4K40DB3-CWE which amazon has for $145.

Going with the 64GB sticks allow for future expansion to half-TB without mixing memory models, though it seems the 4 sticks might have better performance due to parallel access.

The costs jump significantly at 128GB sticks so that is out of my budget.

BTW, Google Bard has been great for checking compatibility of components (whereas GPT has had trouble accessing up to date info). Also, I was able to list all my components and Bard looked-up the power consumption then calculated the appropriate PSU size for my needs - very cool.

1 Like

Can’t find that, link please?