2700x temps dramatically lower on X570

I don’t know what magic is this, but I am really surprised about how much my temperatures dropped when I upgraded to X570.

I recently upgraded my cooler to cheap Scythe Kotetsu II which the PC shop guy recommended here in Japan. It is by the way almost completely silent; according to the PC shop guy this gives about 7-8 celsius better temps compared to the Wraith Prism. That costed about 30 dollars and was on the same shelf as BeQuiet and Noctua stuff. The fan is really nice PWM one too.

But that cooler cant possibly explain how my temperatures are now more than 20C less than they were when I was running my 2700x in Asus B350 Prime. Before I got near 80C when maxing out and idle was between 50-60 constantly. And for that board I applied -0.08V undervolt in BIOS.

I am unable to find setting to enable Performance Boost Overdrive in X570, and I don’t see near 4,2Ghz frequencies, more like near 4,0 during light workloads.

But that alone shouldn’t explain that idle temps are so much lower or should it?

I am hovering at around 30-35C Tdie at idle, and throwing everything at it, Prime95, IntelBurntest, barely ever hits 60C. When the fan of the cooler wakes up a bit, it soon drops to near 50C and that’s constant full torture test for several hours.

HWInfo shows that the frequency is 3,996Mhz when all cores maxed, then when idling the values fluctuate between 1,9 and 4,19.

Could it be that my x570 is being very nice with the voltages?

I don’t know what magic is this but I love it.

1 Like

Simple:
Lower voltage and/or lower ripple = lower Temperatures because lower power consumption.

You don’t have any kind of powermeter handy, right?
Or could measure the power consumption in those situations?

I only have an ASUS X370-F Strix and that consumes around 15-20W more than the BIostar X370GT7 or the MSI B450I.
In terms of Idle with the 2400G, the ASUS is around double the MSI (around 35-40W, the MSI is at around 20W with “normal” PSU, at slightly lower than that with the ISK110 PSU)

1 Like

That explains it, indeed. A thought that choosing a mobo would affect CPU temperatures didn’t occur to me.

That board is very liberal with the vCore.
Most of the Asus boards generally are. My Asus X470 C7H aswel.
Great for overclocking at ‘stock’ voltages, but really requires fine tuning by a proficient user to get the perfect temperature/power spot on the curve.

2 Likes

Chips like the 2700X are engineered to run at high voltage and high clocks in short bursts if thermals permit. AMD forum mods have affirmed it. The better your cooler, the more frequent and consistent those clocks will be. I’ve used the Wraith Prism, which is a great stock cooler, but the boost would only briefly hit ~4.2, and even less on a quiet fan curve (~4.0-4.1). After experimenting with a 120 and 240 AIO, I saw full 4.35ghz boosts.

1 Like