256 GB of Memory on ZEN 4?

Wendell mentioned in his Video “Linux on the 7950x3d” that soon™ you will be able to run 128 GB with two DIMMs.

Does that also mean you will be able to do 256 GB with four DIMMs, or is 128 GB the maximum because of the Raphael (7000 series) memory controller?

Most likely we’ll be able to get 256GB when the high-capacity DIMMs hit 32GB per rank. Right now Corsair is offering 24GB DIMMs single rank. It’s only a matter of time until 64GB consumer DIMMs hit the market. Expect some time until BIOS upgrades adapt to this. Maybe support will be exclusive to nextgen boards (X770), we don’t know.

We’ll about to see how things run once Corsair or some other brand introduces 48GB DIMMs, resulting in up to 192GB capacity. I heard they are supposed to hit the market in march/april. But I certainly wouldn’t want to pay the early adopter tax before board vendors catch up.

We were stuck with 32GB DIMMs for a long time. Good to see DDR5 keeping up with the promises made years ago. It’s about time. DRAM isn’t really keeping up in both speed and capacity as the rest of computing. More channels (like with Milan) can alleviate this to some degree but we don’t see this in consumer platforms.

1 Like

I would be surprised if the IMC doesn’t take a shit trying to handle 64GB, doubtful 128GB will work, 256 not a chance

I guess, YES.
On intel side, MSI Z790 GODLIKE officially supports 192GB on MSI’s website. I don’t think there is any hardware limitation on Ryzen 7000 to support more than 128GB. Since intel has done that on Z790, AMD would follow.

The technical limit of DDR5 is 128GiB per UDIMM, correct? So if/when those sticks would come out and there would be an updated BIOS I presume the maximum would be 512G for AM5 platform. But that is theoretical and at reduced speeds.

2x 64GiB totalling 128GiB of RAM is what I am waiting for. But how long? 7950X3D is out now…

at least we get 4x 48GB with the next AGESA Update

The fastest 48G modules I could find are: Corsair Vengeance CMK96GX5M2B5600C40 and it has 14,29ns true latency. The fastest DDR5 modules are 9,23ns so roughly 50% faster.

True latency is a function of both frequency and timings, to achieve one number where memory modules can be compared.

The fastest DDR5 modules with 32GiB capacity per DIMM are 10,0ns, so about the same as the fastest 8GiB modules. But the 48GiB modules are vastly slower than the 32GiB modules.

I am wanting 2x 64GiB because for AM5 you can only use 2 DIMMs when wanting performance - with 4 DIMMs you are lowering memory performance considerably in order to run stable. Genoa is getting a firmware update to better cope with 2DPC (2 DIMM per channel) - perhaps the Ryzens can also be improved. For now it is 2x 64G = 128GiB total memory that appears doable at good speeds, however:

• When will they be available?
  • Will they feature timings that make them usable for high-performance systems, like 10ns?

here are the new beta Bios for 24 and 48GB DIMMs from ASUS for AM5

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.