25' Displayport cable for 3440 x 1440 @120hz

My pc is remote in another room of my house and I have been successfully using 25ft displayport cables to drive 32" 75hz 1440p monitors for a few years now. I have recently upgrade to a alienware ultrawide AW3420DW, and when I set the display to 120hz, I get blacking out randomly, or it looses the display signal totally and I have to restart to get it back. I know 25ft is pushing it for the cable length, but does anyone have any recommendations on a cable?

I got this cable off amazon thinking it would solve the issue, but it is not any better.

These are the cables I have been running for a few years now, without issue:

Oddly enough, I have 3 monitors, I use 1 on hdmi, the other 2 I use displayport. The 3rd monitor is also 32" but a different model, but fed with one of the DP cables I have bad for a few years and I can set it up at 144 or 165 hz, and it seems to work fine, but I have not gamed on it at all, its has bad color blur on it.

GPU is 6900xt for refrence. Any cable/ setup suggestions?

FIBBR DP Cable, Fiber Optic Displayport 1.4 Cable Support 32.4 Gbps, 8k@60hz, 4K@144Hz, Male to Male Audio Video Cable Slim and Flexible High Speed DP to DP Cable (50ft)

They have different lengths but they are exactly what you need.

1 Like

I should have mentioned I was trying to avoid using an optical cable due to cost, but it seems to be the only way to ensure this works reliably. I will bite the bullet I guess and try this out, and I will report back. Thanks

I have the DWF version of your monitor, and I run it at 165Hz over 50ft using this AOC from Infinite Cables: https://us.infinitecables.com/products/aoc-active-optical-cable-displayport-8k-60hz-32-4gbps-v1-4-cable-cmp-plenum-rated?variant=43921084743993

Cost was a tough pill to swallow for me initially, but I can report that it “just works” in my situation. I carry audio over it, too.

There is no way to get around it at the length you want unfortunately.

1 Like

I purchased this cable, it has a 15% coupon, so I was able to get it for $85, still grumbling about the price but in order to run 120hz, it seems its non-negotiable.

So far, its running good, the other cable I had bought was cutting out after like 5 min. I will report back in a few days if it holds good. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

1 Like

I’d like an update once you had some experience with it. I’m still considering to move my rig into another room and route cables to my desk. So far DP cable length pushed me into Thunderbolt direction, but long and proper DP cable + more affordable USB Hub and cables are a good alternative.

Its been solid so far, no issues at all.

My setup is a usb 2.0 extender hub over cat6 for keyboard, mouse, usb headset, and I have one port for plugging in drives and such. I don’t need direct access to any other high speed connectivity, so this was the cheapest way to go. The usb extender has no detectable latency. It was about $50 on amazon, got it a few years ago.

Also, for me i did had a dp1.2 cable but it was causing many glitch. I simply get a dp-2-hdmi adapter and then put an hdmi optical cable. Many are available and quite cheap as well. And all do work fine. *some cable need to be plug /replug in certain way or they don’t detect display. So far, 8k do run the best.