2024 Upgrade path from GTX 1660ti (Linux User)

Hello,

Simple question. I’m a daily linux user (I don’t use windows) and was thinking about buying a new card if it’s worth it. I can wait another year, I was just checking in to see if maybe I can get a big leap in performance for a few hundred.

I prefer to keep it under or around $400 CAD.

Also, I was thinking of switching to AMD since everytime I reinstall my OS I forget I have to drop to the TTY and manually install the nvidia drive because -linux things-

From my own n00b research it seems like the Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB GDDR6 might be the best fit but I wanna make sure here first.

Goals:
120 fps 1080p

Games I’m currently playing
CIV 6 (this whole quest was sparked by CIV 7 coming out soon …)
I’d like to play Tekken 8
Yakuza series

I’m a fan of how easy amdgpu is on Linux (so long as you remember the firmware blobs), and I have hours of happy Proton gaming. I don’t have that card, nor can I confirm that your combination of card+monitor will give you a base refresh rate at 120hz on which you’ll see 120fps, but that’s searchable.

K3n.

2 Likes

That is the card I’ve got my sights set on… waiting for it to come down a lot further, might be waiting a long time!!

It’s been smooth sailing since amdgpu. I myself am looking at an upgrade to either a 7800XT or 7900GRE. For the games you mentioned, I think you would definitely hit your fps target with a 7800XT at 1080p and then some. The 7900 GRE may be a bit of an overkill choice but there is a particular model that sold for $500, Acer version I believe. It may be possible that it falls under that price on black Friday or cyber Monday into 7800XT price territory.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been seeing that AMD plans on releasing new cards so maybe I’ll wait. The 1660ti is a good card it’s just starting to show it’s limits sometimes. I’m towards the end of a game of CIV6 (most of the map has been conquered etc) and the fps caps at 50 or so. That’s fine I guess (it’s a board game) but if I can upgrade for a couple of hundred bucks might as well. Seems like it’s worth it. When CIV7 is released my card will probably chug so I want to be ready,

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.