2 networks 2 Internet connections

Hey all 

I want to connect to my room mates network so i can use his copy machine

We each have our own Phone lines and ADSL connections and Modem routers 

Lucky thing is the house is networked but we haven't connected each other networks together yet. 

My question really is how do i connect the two networks together with out sharing our internet to each other?

Is it just a matter of connecting the two routers together? or will i have to do some addressing magic?

Google CloudPrint?

This will definitely require magic, and not just with addressing. If CloudPrint will work for you, it is a much simpler solution than connecting the networks.

CloudPrint seems ok but im not really keen on relaying on a internet connection to print something. I sometimes print out Service manuals and can have up to 2000 pages. 

It seems like it be much easier if we both had the same internet connection.ill try and give CloudPrint a go but i would much rather a fixed network connection.

Is it possible for us to be on the one network and have our own DNS?

You can do it that way, but you are looking at a lot of manual configuration. For each router you will have to turn off the DHCP server and set a static LAN IP so that both routers are in the same subnet. Some ISP supplied routers/modems don't even let you do this. If you can manage that first step, you can safely connect the two routers to each other. Next you have to manually configure the IP address, default gateway, DNS servers, and subnet mask for each device on the network. The whole net can be on one subnet, in the same address range. In fact, all that is different between devices is that each must have a unique IP, and you want your devices to use the IP set on your router as the default gateway, and your buddy's devices use his router as the default gateway.

So for example:

Router 1

• DHCP server: off
  • LAN IP: 10.0.1.1
  • Subnet mask: 255.255.252.0
  • Broadcast address: 10.0.3.255

PC 1

• DHCP client: off
  • Static IP: 10.0.1.2
  • Default gateway: 10.0.1.1
  • DNS: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

Router 2

• DHCP server: off
  • LAN IP: 10.0.2.1

PC 2

• Static IP: 10.0.2.2
  • Default gateway: 10.0.2.1

Copy Machine:

• Static IP: 10.0.2.3
  • Default gateway: 10.0.2.1

This is just one example; there are a lot of other ways to set up the network.