2-disk NAS + Cloud Backup Enough?

Just want to make sure there aren’t important things I’m overlooking when considering this.

My plan is a 2-disk Synology unit with //encrypted// backup to Backblaze B2. I think I could get away with a a pretty cheap Synology unit because my intended use is pretty basic. I’ve no need for running Plex and transcoding media. Mainly I just want a central place on the network for backing up family photos/videos. I’d also like to divvy up some shares so I could point the Photos/Video/Music/Documents folders on Windows to the NAS for a few machines. And perhaps the /home directory on my Linux machine.

Is 2-disk NAS a bad idea? As I typed this up, I thought "Oh, yeah, read write speeds would be a downside to just having 2-disks.

Are you planning to do a mirror of the drives, have them seperate, or stripe them?

I would likely mirror them.

With mirrored, two disks is fine reliability/uptime/integrity wise. You may be disappointed by performance, but that depends on the hardware and your expectations.

1 Like

It will be ok if it meets your needs! Which NAS will suit you, you know best. One disk, two disks, twenty-four disks …

At home I use Odroid HC1 with one active hdd and that’s enough for me. The main task is SMB and NAS is bored most of the time. I also have no problem with transfers … 60-80MB / s.
I keep backups elsewhere.

Summary

Samsung Exynos5422 - Eight cores (four 2.0Ghz / four 1.5Ghz)
2GB LPDDR3
1TB Samsung ST1000LM024
OpenMediaVault
hc1

I have recommended two Odroid HC2 to some soho customers. Of which one in a physically separate location.

A cloud like a cloud … without my own encryption layer, I wouldn’t use it.
It’s best to take a disaster scenario test. How fast are you to recover 100% of the data from the cloud and what effort do you have to put into it.
People usually don’t take into account how long it may take to recover data from the cloud. Hardly anyone cares about it. And later you can hear stories where data recovery took up to 72H