2 different ethernet/rj45 terminations?

hey.
i recently got fiber to my house,and found that i dont want a long mess with cables around my setup the techs left behind.
so i decided to build my own cable with rj45 connections,from the fiber box to the router.i made a short one and it didnt work.well,the ethernet connection works fine but not the wifi.
i looked at it with a magnifier and it seems the working cable has a couple changes to the termination.is there a standard for this?(i live in norway)i dont want to screw up anything before knowing what is going on.
can someone please help me out here?i dont think its needed but if anyone would like to see what it looks like,let me know.

thanks guys,

There are A and B standards, which mean the green and orange wires might be switched. As long as it’s conistent between both end of the cable, it should be fine. There is also a crossover config for both, but it’s quite rare to need a crossover.

3 Likes

Most NICs and switches will have automatic MDI/MDI-X detection (doesn’t matter whether the cable is straight or cross)

Most cables these days are straight through 568B — that’s the default choice.

3 Likes

My father once made us a crossover cable when we connected direct from a PC’s LAN port to the other PC’s LAN port. These are quite rare to find these days because routers and wifi routers are cheap and usually included in broadband. I think modern routers could also adapt recognize crossover cables no problem but Im unsure if every router is like that.

1 Like

Automatic crossover (can’t remember what it’s actually called) is part of the gigabit Ethernet standard so crossover cables are pretty much entirely obsolete these days.

3 Likes

Does that mean you could now connect 2 PC with a “parallel” LAN cable directly, mobo LAN port to mobo LAN port? Cool!

2 Likes

Yep

1 Like

so what do i do now?any ideas?
thanks,

You re-terminate the cable to standard,… can you snap a photo?

1 Like

MDI is the auto selection on some ethernet interfaces aka Medium-dependent interface - Wikipedia

i have several standard cables from different stores and none of them work,only the one that came with the router works.
what exactly do u want picture of?
thanks,

a picture of the individual cables that are in the connector. but also helpful is a picture of the printing on the cable itself. it will usually state what kind of cable it is. does the working cable color pattern match the picture from WorBlux?

ive ordered a cable tester and it will maybe sort this out,even tho my multimeter wont.