1u PSU fan replacement... NF-A4x20 - will psu overheat?

Hi,

i recently for a QC-2018 (qumolu) converted to Truenas… all is fine BUT the PSU fan are driving me nuts … i can hear them 1 mile away :frowning:
using 2x 1u by 1u redundant psu m1u-2750V.

these us 40mm by 20mm fans…

So if i replace them with NF-A4x20… i fear that there will not be enough static pressure and taht my psu could overheat and die :frowning:

anybody with experience in same kind of "mod "

NOTE: i loaded the server with 3 raid card, 1 gpu T600, 1x 4x nvme, and of course 36X 2TB hgst sas hd…

psu is 750w…

any input would be apreciated!

thank you

I bet it will be fine, I’d do it

But, be very careful opening a PSU! The caps can kill for a long time after being unplugged

1 Like

thanks for the warning, i was hoping for some1 with experiance with this…

i mean the noctua seems to push so little air… i dont want those psu to die , used they are pretty much worth the whole price of the system haha!

Idk noctua fans usually over rated
There are better fans you probably don’t need dead silent but rather fans that don’t spin 15k rpm

Have you tried putting the system somewhere you won’t hear it and making a baffle

Having heard and seen 40mm fans in 1u gear run at full speed I wouldn’t do it. The noctua spins at 5k rpm and the originals probably move 3x more air.

1u gear is loud as hell, can you go 2 or 4u instead?

I don’t think it’s worth the risk to be honest. I came into a similar problem with my 3U Supermicro Server (uses 1U PSUs) and ended up switching to their SQ (superquiet) line of PSUs rather than risking modding them. I’d take a look around and see what other PSUs could be compatible with the system?

yeah there are problably something that exist between noctua and the fan it as installed now,

and well yeah its already in a dedicated room on its own… but still can hear fan while watching movie for example ha!

thank you,
its already a 4 u case but as 2u for mtb/psu, i wanted to meaby use a regular psu outside the case, but not psu i know of can handle lots of wattage on 5volt rails

yeah i was wondering what i could use, i need high amps on 5volt rail…

i removed a tray in the back that used to hold 4 ssd. now i have 2u for sure.

but the thing is i need those connectors that are on the right side in the photo that connects to the hdd back plane… i also have 3 other backplane under this motherboard/psu

i don’t know if this is standard somehow … or i would have to make my own (not a problem).

It wouldn’t hurt to work on your cable management right there above (right) of your PSUs.

I’ve sadly only altered the fan on a 1u fortimail appliance using a 300w psu - since the load is not that high, and it was placed in a cool environment, it worked fine. However, you have 2x, and at 750w, and guessing with the parts you added, you have a lot of higher load than one ssd and “just” the board+mem+cpu+nic.

I’d say perhaps there’s easier to see if you can ramp the fans down with a normal fan resistor - depending on the fan… but, yeah, tricky.

1 Like

Hi,

well its a work in progress right now. once everything is at my taste i go in with tie-rap . but not before im finished lol

From what I could find about that PSU, it would look like those fans are 40x28mm, not 40x20.

Like others warned, modding a PSU comes with risks, but I would not over-exagerate it, it can be done. You can see whether your PSU is anywhere close to hot when using it. if you feel it barely warm to the touch you most likely have room to reduce the fan speed, though this may not be available to be done by the PSU, having slower more silent fans is a possibility though to be honest, if those need to move significant air, then you won’t have a truly silent one, there is so much you can do in 40mm…

Next thing to consider is whether the connector on the fan is the same as what you will get on standard fans, and whether those fans are speed controlled? and if yes, voltage controlled or PWM?

Check carefully.

Another option with the space you have in your case would be to look at different form factor for PSU (but that’s more of an investment then…)

If you are still on to do it, I’ll do a bit of an ad for our S4028-6k then :wink: , they may fit your needs.

1 Like

thanks for the link il buy a pack … always useful for switches and other psu fans.

yeah i am thinking of modding the cage where both psu fits in … make a 92mm hole and install 2x 92mm fans, see reg square

How many volts are your power connection? 120V or 240V?

I’ve found a post online recently that said that some server psu ran quieter when it was connected to 240V.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpumining/comments/l9mxfl/can_server_psus_be_quiet/

This tracks, most power supplies are 0.5-2% more efficient at power conversion when using 240v over 120v.

im at 120v. humm this is new to me…

i wonder how could i get 120v to 240v with 2 electrical circuit?

any electrician here? haha

First you should check if the psu’s actually would run on 208-240V.

Then the question is if the psu actually runs the fan depending on the temp, or if it just runs at full speed all the time.
And it also depends what heats up. I guess 240V will only help on the primary side of the power circuit where you need half the amps when you double the voltage.

You can by using a Y Combiner cord, the two circuits that the cord is plugged into must be on two different “legs” of the main breaker box though. Also you do not want to have any GFCI in front of either circuit or it will trip.
-do this at your own risk because it is against best practices, but FWIW I have a cable that has two NEMA 5-15P’s that feed into a IEC C19 to give my UPS 240v and have been using it for many years without issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.