1st Gen Ryzen not supported on Windows 11

According to this official Microsoft HCL first generation Ryzen processors are NOT supported by Windows 11. Microsoft’s “PC Health Check” application confirms this on my Ryzen 7 1700 system, even though TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot are enabled.

I did find one post on reddit by an owner of a 1600AF (actually a downclocked 2600) that he was able to pass the PC Health Check test.

I can’t think of a single hardware feature in Zen+ that doesn’t exist in 1st gen Ryzen. My OEM PC is supposedly capable of upgrading to Zen+, but I don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars just to upgrade my OS. Why the bleep has Microsoft pulled this BS?

3 Likes

My guy they still haven’t finished win11 what you have is barely working beta…

8 Likes

I was upset because I had wanted to try WSLg v2 with an Insider Preview build, and the Insider settings dialog tells me that my system is not compatible with Windows 11 and that I may experience “issues”. What issues may be encountered are not specified.

The only clue I can find is this: Compatibility for Windows 11- Compatibility Cookbook | Microsoft Docs

The R7 1700 seems to meet all the compatibility requirements, except possibly this one I don’t understand:

Smode: Smode is false, or Smode is true and C_ossku in (0x65, 0x64, 0x63, 0x6D, 0x6F, 0x73, 0x74, 0x71)

I have no clue what this means, if the 1700 meets it, or what the potential impacts of not meeting it are.

Did your OEM pc ship with s-mode enabled?

Hopefully its just an oversight or glitch they are continuing to work on. It would seem odd to exclude such a popular series of CPUs which realistically are relatively new in the grand scheme. There is much older hardware that still works and is supported that is currently being used across past versions of Windows.

If you just skip the OOBE installer people have already shown that at least the leaked build runs on Pentium 4… I honestly don’t know how limited the hardware support will actually be, but this smells like Microsoft trying really hard to just cover their asses and exclude anything they think won’t be 110% smooth. If anyone complains about any issue whatsoever they can just blanket deny any support.

1 Like

The inverse happened with win7 and Skylake and ryzen

That was just Win7 not having USB3.0/PCH drivers built in. It ran fine you just couldn’t do anything with it unless you had a USB2.0 bus somewhere to use, or injected the vendor USB3.0 driver. Some NVMe support was also lost and needs hackery to work, but that wasn’t exclusive to Skylake/Ryzen.

It’s slightly more forgivable when a feature is legitimately required to make the software usable to the layman. In the case of Win11, none of these features are required for it to boot and be usable. It’s just artificial limitations because fuck you.

3 Likes

Not supported and won’t work are not the same thing.

2 Likes

No, S-mode was not enabled on this machine. I wasn’t even aware of s-mode until today. That does not seem to be the limitation. It may be as @Fouquin says “because f**k you.”

And then there’s this: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/80184/directstorage-is-exclusive-to-windows-11-on-pc/index.html

I thought when AMD launched Zen, they only supported it on win10? And there was a little outcry about win7?

As in, it might work, but company doesn’t want to troubleshoot that far back?

But windows updates block/fail for so many reasons…

From what I’m seeing Windows 11 requires a TPM device. Does Ryzen gen 1 have fTPM? Might be the case.

Nah, Device Manager says TPM 2.0 is enabled and ready to go. Did have to turn it on in BIOS. Disk is set to GPT/UEFI, Secure Boot is turned on.

You mean “public” beta. I really dont think they are getting beta testers much funding these days :rofl:

2 Likes

Your telling me, I had to PAY to test all the crap updates to windows 10, never paid me a cent for the trouble they cause.

4 Likes

6 Likes