1997 Mercury Cougar Hard Starting

Did you allready went to a dealer and letting them do a read out from the ecu?
Because it could be anything.

A TPS probably wouldn't keep it from starting, and a bad alternator would set off the battery light. If the plugs are new, try the wires and the coil packs. If you go to AutoZone, they can read the engine codes for free.

Also, does the engine have self adjusting valves? The lashings could be off

Nowadays, you don't have to go to a dealer or garage to get your error codes read. You can usually go to an auto parts store and they'll do it for you, no charge.

@skullabyss
Do you have a check engine light on? When that goes on, it's best to get the codes checked out. Most common cause of that light is an O2 sensor, but O2 sensors don't cause the problems you're having.

My 28 year old Toyota is dieing.. I'm trying to save her... but she's blowing out all the water I can put into her out the exhaughst. erm.. head gasket gone baby. and I just spent 2 grand trying to save her in other ways. Help me folks. I has to let her die, and get a new squese..the next squeese won't ever. NEVER, come near to lastin 28 fucking perfect years.. I has so sad

Assertion: If you're experiencing a problem, please go start your own thread. It is rude to hijack someone else's.

Whoa, lots of advice. Sounds like the car just needs good general maintenance. Belts, pulleys, idlers, and so on. If you say you can hear a whistling noise, and it doesn't like to accelerate, I would look more for a vacuum leak. Not enough pressure and it acts the same way. Could be intake gaskets or just a vacuum line. The IAC, Idle Air Control, could be going bad as well. Something super simple like that. Just get some carb cleaner and clean some of these parts up. Check all of the vacuum lines and, if you have the carb cleaner, spray it around the intake manifold while it idles. If it revs up then you know there is a leak there. Try some of that though and definitely get a belt on it if it hasn't ever had one before.

That had better have self adjusting valves lol. Unless someone messed with them. And, if they are out too far ifs probably too late now. Adjusting valve lash is something you do constantly, at least on the vehicles i've been around. I know it should only be done at service but when they are up there in miles it takes more time and maintenance.

I like your wisdom. and damn, your calm about it all. that, I appreciate. btw..has to rebuild mah toyota SR truck 1985 engine. sads, shes bleeding water out the tail pipe now. if only computer tech lasted so long.

I thought so too. My girlfriend's 2008 Honda Fit however, did not have self adjusting valves, and had similar symptoms which got worse and worse, and eventually the car would stall on cold mornings before the engine warmed up. Turns out they were pretty out of what.

Her father's 2004 or 2005 Accord also needed them adjusted.

Yet my 1983 Honda Nighthawk, little 550cc 4 cylinder, had self adjusting valves. Go figure.