16 core atoms?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11720/more-denverton-noise-gigabytes-ma10st0-features-unannounced-16core-c3958

Thought atom was dead?

@wendell

2 Likes
3 Likes

If arm arn’t getting massive in the server world it shows these tiny core servers are just not wanted yet. If intel has this on the back burner im sure it wouldn’t take much to update to newer architecture if it turns out they can be useful.

I mean, it’s intended for handling storage arrays. Could be an easy and cheaper alternative

Cheaper than an arm box?

With all them features it could be possible

then lets hope intel dusts her off.

1 Like

the Atom Processors were SOOOOO under-rated for what you got. Intel did kill them for good. it’s the reason why there hasn’t been small Windows tablets. when they were a thing with Windows 8.1 all of them were atom based. Intel killed it off. and now there is no small Windows tablets. if they bring it back that would be amazing. these server boards were insane for what you got.

2 Likes

That board looks insane for NAS boxes. 16 drives off an itx board has only been possible in prior when you had a quad port sas card, or used a mix of add-in sas expansion cards and motherboard sata. Honestly for those needing to store a lot of stuff, or especially those wanting to do a lot of plex streams, that board is straight fire. The old avoton 8 cores were capable of doing quad 1080p transcoded plex streams (I remember seeing a working demo of this on YouTube), so now with 16 cores, that thing has to be able to do at least 8 x 1080p streams or 2 x 4k streams.

I wants.

2 Likes

Looks like there are quite a few new releases of Atoms - could make for some interesting low power m/b

Do people think this could be intels nas (or such) equivalent to the g4560?

e.g something at a ridiculously good price / perf ratio at the low end to keep people intel.

I know anything unannounced from intel these days will get a lot of people thinking the whole ‘cause competition!’ thing.

1 Like

Not really, most Intel Atoms didn’t do well against what it was competing against (ARM). It was great for x86 compatibility with tablets and phones, but otherwise not so much.

But I think this 16 Core Atom may have a place somewhere.

this would be ridiculously good for a nas/plex box/streaming pc/game server/ect
4 slots ddr4 with 16 sata and if it’s around 200$ or so at that price it’s much better then using old server equipment for the power, noise, warrentys, size, ect…
and ofc the case with support for 16 drives, the ram, the drives, and the 10g card could be a bit pricey so saving money here on the main board with no raid cards needed is a big deal. unless intel prices this high enough that ryzen systems can compete it’ll do nicely for home servers.

1 Like

Low power x86 has been a thing for ages.
There’s plenty of potato x86 Intel Avoton 8 core servers out there.

Usually used in industry:
https://www.logicsupply.com/ml600g-10

1 Like