1500 EUR (1700$) Productivity system AMD vs INTEL (x99 vs previous platforms?)

So taking into account what everyone has suggested:

CPU

Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler

Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler €149.90

What do people here think about this, it should be OC'd but only to an extent where it stays rock solid and can be "forgotten" into that state. I would guess the average ambient temp at the place is 18-26C other than that it just needs to give most bang for the buck in terms of OC but nothing extravagant it would not be oc'd with extensive tweaking but more likely a solid easy to reach software overclock.

Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard €280.17

Memory
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory €185.88

Storage
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive €340.00

**(Not sure if that has any point but zbrush does like it's scratch drive and it would be comfortable to have a main drive of sufficient size to hold most of the needed software and scratch space in one unit- later he could add 1 or 2 drives or do you guys think there is no meaningful point in going 2500/1500 read write?). **

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive €51.45

Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card €381.99

Only alternative here is R9 390 I guess but in general Nvidia has been better with productivity software not sure how much it matters though extra vram is great for modeling in general...price is similar though and R9 390 seems better on paper. 980 or 980ti would be great but not sure if it would be possible to fit it into the budget

Case
Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case €53.89

Power Supply
Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply €96.78

Total: €1540.07

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/P7px8d

That's about as cheap as you can do an X99 build with the specs you want... using trusted brands and quality parts with a price next to them...

this is more in line with what you can afford if your budget is tight.. splurges on the things your were splurging on but uses a Haswell refresh Xeon instead of an i7 5820k: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/3XJC7P

Xeons cannot overclock, but they are still very nice CPUs... I use them in engineering builds for CAD all the time...

EDIT: do you already have the CPU and CPU cooler?

I would guess he has nothing that would be worth bringing over as his system is q6600 which has served him for a while but something newer-quieter would be in order if going with the OC route but that would only be the case with going with the 5820K as Xeons wont clock as you pointed out.

This depends a bit on what software you will be using for rendering stuff.
Basicly Nvidia Cuda rendering works better, in allot of rendering applications.
like adobe premiere, Blender etc.
AMD open CL / GL seems to work better in Sony Vegas.

Rest of the build looks realy good to me.
Dont think that you can add a 980Ti in there with that budget.

That basically means that Nvidia is a better bet as I don't think there will be too much video editing it is mostly 3d, photo, sculpting etc maybe some video editing but not enough to justify building a system which gives it special consideration.

As far as software being used:

Blender,
Zbrush, (cpu bound).
Keyshot, (cpu bound).
Photoshop,
Painting/texturing/drawing apps.

yeah well, ofc there is also the cpu.
The 5820K 6 core 12 threads, has allready a decent render performance on its own ofc.

For blender, cuda acceleration will be a benefit yes.

I was wondering because you didn't include the CPU in the 1540 euro... which is ~400

1 Like

Let me see, I did but maybe I didnt copy it out or made a mess somewhere by accident. Oh I see, there was no price next to it yes I will correct that.

well in terms of gaming performance, there is not that much of a diffrence between the GTX970 and R9-390.
At 1080p they are pretty much neck to neck, depending from game to game.

Ofc the 3.5GB vram issue on the GTX970 sucks.
Till now i have only seen shadow of mordor realy suffering.
But yeah if you play games like skyrim, and you like to heavy mod it with texture packs, then you "could" run into some issues aswell.

1 Like

I suppose R9 could still work as if I had to bet I would guess he is more into modeling and rendering is mostly for visualization and bringing stuff to life and in this case extra Vram makes it go alot further over time...

Yeah you should ask him, if he realy uses blender allot for rendering.
And if he wants to take the adventage of cuda acceleration support in it.
Because for blender Nvidia cards are a better choice.

GTX980Ti would ofc be awesome, but i dont think it will fit the budget.
I'm from the Netherlands and prices are high atm.

1 Like

I recommend the 390 over the 970 pretty regularly, but chances are he's using Adobe suite and the green team has some benefit there... I also know 3D S Max uses VRay which is MUCH better optimized for the green team (or was as of a year ago)... I'd have to look the others up... not to say a 390 isn't a bad purchase in any way, but for the very specific use-case... a 970 will kill a 390 in rendering in Adobe suite and 3D S Max... and apparently blender as MisteryAngel pointed out as I typed this... AMD is the much better physical card spec-wise, but drivers are everything

1 Like

Hmm, it seems that OC'ing wise people can hit 4~4,5 with air and water is not a must to get a nice OC out of it.
I would think it makes sense to stay x99 instead of Z79 Xeon as the price difference is very minimal if optimized for that and the cpu has additional extra cores and can be OC'd at least 30% in most cases so that makes it a better deal I guess...

edit: Closed loop watercooling units seem to achieve 4-4,2ghz without much trouble.

Otherwise I ripped out anything non essential and left in 1x512ssd (not sure maybe there we could save another 50-70 by going crucial/adata etc). He could upgrade that soon afterwards by adding extra storage as that is not that expensive in general.

It probably tilts towards R9 390 but I'll leave that open for now and that does not affect the price massively.

Green team:
http://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Arlekiin/saved/#view=jBggXL

Red team:
http://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Arlekiin/saved/#view=LKJrxr

that'll be a beast... for sure... good luck with it sir

1 Like

That was a warmup, I get to build x99 workstation for myself aswell and that will have more allowances...and I will really need to ask around about those 40" 4k monitors you Tekkers fuss around so much...

Thank you everyone I think no stone was left unturned, it seems that its as effective as it can be for the price.