1500 EUR (1700$) Productivity system AMD vs INTEL (x99 vs previous platforms?)

Hello everyone,

• So if one needs to build a 1500 EUR system would you go AMD or INTEL?
  • Purchasing location is Estonia EU (ordering online within eu is also ok).
  • The build is for productivity and 3d modeling (zbrush, photoshop etc).
  • Case/system only no need for peripherials of any kind.
  • Intel vs AMD (older xeons etc hacks if they offer enough performance would also be on the table, provided they can fit the budget).
  • It is not for gaming but it probably does not make sense to go 4k with this setup just yet but something higher than 1080p might be in order if possible. Person building this system plays older games and maybe newer rpg's such as witcher 3 once in a while not a massive gamer but few titles in a year at high settings would be nice no need for "ultra" settings.
  • If going with intel is there a point to entertain the idea to go with anything else than x99 at this point? Person getting the system will most likely keep it for a while.

I have been checking out cpu comparisons and such and have built several systems but the last AMD system I touched was built over 8 years ago and at that point I had some issues with AMD and I am wondering if anything has changed. Previously my issue was that since intel introduced Q6600 (he is coming from that by the way...upgrade is long overdue I'd say :P) a while back it seemed that AMD systems were not up to snuff in terms of responsivness in productivity workflows however since you can get top-end AMD cpu's for 200ish it makes sense to try to find out if its maybe more efficient at that cost? Current intel 6-core or 8-core would go 2K Eur minimum however I look at it so maybe people here can give me some opinions- opinions is what I am looking for subjective advice.

Peace,

AMD really has no chance at that budget unless your prices are crazy high over there, you'll probably want a 5820k

1 Like

Yes that is my suspicion aswell but wanted to check because really I have no idea what it is to work with current AMD systems while intel is great...

either wait for zen or go intel.

1 Like

I have been waiting for AMD to offer some competition to intel for years now and it has failed to deliver every time is there any real hope of AMD pulling it off this time? I am not talking domination either just becoming somewhat competitive would be nice...i know it is not easy for amd as intel holds all the nice patents on different cool cpu architectures so if AMD wanted to actually get something new out they would really need to come up with something brilliant...

You could go the AMD route, and at a lower budget that would free up some budget for like RAM or SSDs if there was a very specific workload for that, or virtual machine workloads

Otherwise I guess something like this, it's from germany, X99 availability is pretty bad though, only OEM 5820k versions are available, not sure on the difference there

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/qv8hhM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/qv8hhM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor (€489.97 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler (€54.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (€246.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€185.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€51.45 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 360 2GB Core Edition Video Card (€112.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€40.26 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€77.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1259.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-24 00:00 CET+0100

few years back when they released 8 core for first time it was competitive because intel didn't have anything beyond 6-8 core with that price. (today intel goes up to 22 cores, amd up to 20)

i have hope in zen.

there's no sense is paying good money for a 4 year CPU... Zen may be great but for now and the foreseeable future I recommend Intel for obvious reasons...

what programs are you using for 3D modeling, because you'll likely need some GPU horsepower whether you want to game on it or not...

True but the difference in instruction sets is massive...I too hope to see something cool emerging in Zen cannot say I have too much hope though. I have fantasized about them somehow leveraging their ATI purchase to boost their capability in cpu production and development which has happened to some extent I guess but not as much as I initially imagined when they bought ati.

don't worry about them, they are part of IBM consortium. They'll live, and if it may be needed even intel will provide help...

Well most likely 3d sculpting is primary and then 3ds Max, Blender, 3d Coat. Some of those are cpu and memory intensive. Lets say it should not be a crappy gfx but doesnt need to go to 980ti territory either...

So they could be more awesome and push out better cpu's but its politics behind them not doing so? Pff as everyoene else I'd enjoy seeing some more competition for customers sake. It's getting off topic I guess it's my first time using this interaction platform you have here...it's addictive like pistachios...

If zen flops someone will probably acquire AMD or something, and then maybe someone else will pick up the GPU division, probably a big company that wants to have hardware built for VR

Arigato dear sir,

Nice baseline I guess maybe he could boost his gfx a little but seems good for the price- I suppose there will be OC-ing. Also 5820 might be ok if he is not expanding too much so the limitation in express lanes would not be an issue anyways.

yeah, they could release much better technology but intel needs cash to buy something. I assume this is a play to buy Nvidia by someone from IBM consortium; so far they declined from both intel and microsoft - so we see consortium is starting to be more aggressive against Nvidia. But there might be other company that they want.

just go with X99 its no brainer.

Maybe something like this:

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/DkfsdC

looks good to me.
Change those Samsung pro´s for EVO´s to save some cash.
Maybe you could trow that extra cash into a better gpu.
you could also change the 2TB black drive for two 1TB blue´s cheaper and just as good.

wouldn't a 500GB SSD be cheaper/better?

Unfortunatly i cannot do much with partpicker wenn it comes to European prices atm.
Most parts arent in the price lists unfortunaly.
you cant translate US prices directly over to European prices.
Because prices are way higher up here in Europe.