14TB Exos vs. Ironwolf

I was looking at the ironwolf 14TB but see this exos x16 which is also 14TB for around 25% less in price. The Ironwolf is more popular but it seems like the exos is better, tech wise. Is there any reason I should go for ironwolf? The price difference makes no sense to me

There was something about warranties/support and how much Seagate is willing to cover from which start date and under what terms of replacement.

In some cases the store you’re buying from can choose to assume some responsibility for the exos drives.

Yes don’t get oem drives … and you’ll be g2g

I got some 16tb exos recently…

5yr warranty… oh yeah

Also… My ironwolfs were always quiet, my exos were loud in my fractal define r5, but not in my rosewill case…

1 Like

Exos used to, and perhaps still does, offer free advanced replacement. I think ironwolf pro offered the same.

Other difference is, Exos is available with the 12gig dual port SAS interface.

Buried in the fine print, maybe something about the supported number of drives per chassis?

1 Like

How much louder is the exos? Also do you notice any difference when writing a huge amount of data, does the ironwolf drop off more when the cache is filled?

with them in my rosewill 4u case… i dont notice them any more.

when i had them in my fractal define r5… I could hear them most of the time.

I think it has to do with the mounted hardware of the cases.
The R5 has metal brackets… but the rosewill has plastic.

The exos feel better, but I had some inefficiencies with my ironwolf array that I’ve hopefully corrected now. The exos are supposed to have more IOPs than the ironwolfs.

2 Likes

i’m GUESSING the exos are enterprise and the ironwolfs and ironwolf pros would then be prosumer or something.

1 Like

Ironwolf/IW Pro is their NAS line.

yeah
ironwolfs are 3 yr warranty

idk if the ironwolf pros are 3 or 5 year (without looking)

exos is 5 year. (still dont recommend getting oem tho)

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.