13900k Literally Ticking Like a Clock?

Hi all, long time L1 lurker but this is my first time posting.

I recently built a 13900k workstation and it has been pretty great/silent overall … but after stressing it a lot today there is this bizarre clock tick that is very audible. I tried to capture it here with a YT short (sorry, recorded in portrait mode) you might need to crank the volume. It is much louder when I play it on my phone, YT might be clipping some of that.

I cannot link to the video unfortunately. You can view it by recomposing the following parts:

youtube dot com
/shorts/T0tCFX30aTw

Any ideas? If I stop each fan 1 by 1 with my finger, the noise remains.

I have the CPU in performance mode because when it goes into a low idle state it would squeal like a pig, but not even close to this loud.

More specs here:

• 13900k, stock everything except XMP etc in bios no overclock
  • ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-PLUS Wifi D4
  • NOCTUA NH-D15 BLACK CPU COOLER
  • CORSAIR RM1000X PSU
  • Debian 12 Linux
  • Powercolor RX 6600 GPU

I am one of those OCD lunatics who wants complete silence so any help is appreciated. I don’t mind fan noise but this is something different for sure.

Welcome, @whalesalad!

Here’s the link:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T0tCFX30aTw

Hmmm. I can’t hear it personally. What’s the frequency/period?

It is happening about every second, or more frequently. You gotta crank to 100% volume to hear it unfortunately but it is quite loud in person. Sounds like an old school wall clock ticking.

After a reboot I was able to get it to stop. Squealing persists, but I fire up core ctrl and crank it to performance mode and the squealing stops. This seems to come and go randomly. Today it started after doing a long 1+ hour run of number crunching with python/polars.

Wondering if I have a bad PSU or motherboard.

Its chugging. If the PSU is doing that I wouldnt have confidence. Are you sure its coming from inside the case and not coincidence? My personal own need to find out would probably have me shaving my ear off in a fan trying to listen for it.

It sounds like a 2stroke diesel w some misfires.

Is the fan running in the PSU when things are under load? It defo sounds like a fan trying to start but not quite having enough juice to do so.

• Definitely coming from inside the case. I believe it is coming from the motherboard or CPU - I had my ear directly inside the case (it is still open now) and it was potentially a GPU coil whine type thing but my GPU has not been under more than 1% load all day long. CPU was under significant load with the data processing I was doing - as soon as I fired up polars it started to go bananas.
  • Definitely not a physical fan noise. Initially I thought it was a fan ever so slightly scraping the side of its enclosure but after ruling them out one by one it remained. I was actually shocked that when I dead-stopped the cpu fan the sound persisted.
  • PSU fan is one thing I have actually not checked. This is my first time with a Corsair PSU and I regret not going with Seasonic as they have never failed me. I will do some more testing and report back on the PSU fan. I don’t even think that I will be able to see it based on this Lian Li o11 case.

That’s coil whine from the mobo’s VRM. Annoying, but won’t hurt anything.