12th gen spec nobody is talking about

Well that was the original posters concern. Planning to eventually run a homeserver with Alder Lake.

For a homeserver I can recommend Ryzen ECO Mode. Significantly reduces power/heat

I’m sticking to Ryzen as well. Getting a 5800x or 5900x with V-cache next year. Bandwidth and lanes is plenty on x570 boards for my needs.

1 Like

This is interesting

This time showing on a 24t v 24t 12900k v 5900x and the intel cpus idle to max watts usage DELTA was more than AMDs TOTAL usage. Intel using 50% more power.

3 Likes

And here I am running Ryzen 7 off of a 3 phase…

2 Likes

I had to watch the video to understand the nuance of what you have written :smiley:
Good find.

2 Likes

I have not heard of this, yet! Can you elaborate what this is? If it is a UEFI feature I have certainly not seen it on my Gigabyte boards, neither X370 nor X570!

ECO Mode is a new feature since 5000 series Ryzen. It’s basically an inverted PBO. My Ryzen 5900x goes down to 65W TDP from 105W TDP. Total package power is reduced from like 130W to I think 81W. Internet says the performance hit is around 10-15%, I didn’t do any benchmarks myself because those 12 cores got all the compute I need.

I don’t have a watt meter so I can’t say how much lower the power draw is, but thermals went down by 18°C, resulting is basically noiseless operation for my server (well outside of HDD write noise). And power isn’t cheap here in germany, so I take any watt saving I can get.

I highly recommend to test out ECO mode…as long as you don’t need max performance per core, it’s a nice option. Available either in BIOS or Ryzen Master tool (Windows)

5 Likes

Lol yeah not so much with a 12900K doe :grin:

1 Like

But just looking at the spec’s of the new Alderlake cpu’s,
wouldn’t the i7 12700K with 8C / 16T + 4 efficiency cores which draws significantly less power,
an overall better buy for most desktops?

1 Like

Noticeably lower powerdraw…

Yeah exactly.
and i think that for most home desktops 4 EF cores to off load background processes,
would be a nice enough addition.
I mean both cpu’s also have the same amount of pci-e lanes available as far as i can see.
I don’t really see much reasons to go for the core i9 12900K in most cases.

3 Likes

Thank you for explaining, I did not know, since I do not own a 5000 series CPU.

1 Like

The thing is, 5950X still consumes less power than any of those…
It’s weird…
AMD is insanely efficient and a bit slower. So you can think Intel is faster, but on the other hand Ryzen is platform cheaper and easier to deal with when it comes to power and cooling. Cause god knows GPUs aren’t getting any efficiency progress. They are getting more and more power hungry.

1 Like

Finally a processor so I can run all my Dell and HP apps + 3x Antivirus and still can play games all day. Halleluja!

2 Likes

Good luck with that :rofl:

Sure but i think that it kinda depends on the prices for the 12700K or 12700KF.
It could be an interesting option to consider compared to a 5800X,
if we don’t take the power draw in consideration.

1 Like

The AVX512 situation is really interesting. As I understand it Ryzen can do avx512 at ~half the speed of intel per core. But a 5950x has 16 real cores. To run avx512 at all alder lake needs all its E cores turned off in bios and becomes an 8 core.

Intel is trying to use avx512 for an intel specific speed boost but I’m this case it’s a huge handicap

1 Like

Yeah but wouldn’t that again make a 12700K a more interesting option compared,
to a 12900K for avx512 then?
I mean it’s significantly cheaper and it only has 4EF cores that need to be disabled.
Which means that it will still be an 8 core as well.
Of course you lose 5MB of cache but still.

Still yeah it kinda is an interesting situation.

I see a lot of discussion about ECC memory with regards to Intel’s 12th Gen. Doesn’t Z690 support DDR5 and doesn’t DDR5 include ECC capability built in to the modules?

Let me introduce you to Mr Dr Ian Cutress, his Eminence has a good video on that subject: Why DDR5 does NOT have ECC (by default) - YouTube

TLDR: DDR5 has ECC but not true ECC. There will still be ECC and non-ECC variants for DDR5 memory.

4 Likes

I mean, I have a Ryzen 9 3950X and I can very much do the same. If I turn off power limits and turn my all core up to 4.2GHz I can get similar power characteristics to this and have my CPU sitting in the 90s Celsius on an NH-D15. If I actually wanted to get the advertised 4.7GHz single core boost that AMD printed on every single box that this CPU came in it would take a triple cooler, manual tweaking and power usage like what Intel is showing here. At actual stock I get 3.8GHz all core and 4.2GHz single core and power and thermals are reasonable, but let’s be real about how much AMD’s marketing lied for the 3000 gen. If we’re going to tear Intel a new one it shouldn’t be because they were actually honest about power requirements.

tl;dr In my experience AMD’s power usage is only decent because the clock speeds advertised are completely mythical – or you manually overclock to the “stock” settings and power usage goes through the roof. You get one or the other.