10MBits only on my CAT7 cable

hi,

I bought some CAT7 cable and combined it with CAT7 RJ45 plug connectors (used my tongs to build the cable).
But its speed running slow (10MBits only) and the non-managed Netgear Switch doesn’t has the 100 MBit LED running, instead the 10 MBit LED shows up only.

Cable seems fine and so the registered jacks, but I was not sure how to connect the cable guard to the RJ45 plugs.
Formation test seems to work, except the cable guard wasn’t found.

Has this some to do with the EIA/TIA 568B norms, or is that a result of NOT having the cable guard tie onto the RJ45 plugs ?
Maybe I just need a managed switch ?!

My guess is one of the conductors makes a bad connection. Get a multimeter in continuity mode and check for resistance (should be nearly 0)

Yep it is likely running in cat3/4 mode (ie 2pairs rather than 4pairs). Usually happens when the crimp doesn’t take.

Get a cable tester for a couple of £€$¥ and see which one, or just cut the end off and try again.

I tend to use keystones and patch boards as my crimping skills are woeful.

4 Likes

x2 this is the way to go. Let machines make the patch cables with crimped on ends and over-mold strain reliefs.

I was told a story about an office where the cable guys didn’t use a tester. Roughly every fifth cable was defective.

My takeaway is, always use a tester.

1 Like

Either just recrimp both ends, starting with one that looks more janky, … or post some photos - some folks here have seen quite a few crimped cables, it’ll be useful:

• Can you snap a few photos of the tools you used? (by tongs, you mean a crimper?)
  • … and a quick photo of the end of the cable on the contact side (bottom, are all contact pins pushed in?)
  • … and from upfront (can you see all the cable ends pushed in all the way in touching the end of the housing, or is this one of those EZ pull through connectors?)

sure its bits and not bytes? you can split 4 wires each and get 100 megabit/10 megabyte which is useful for turning say one network drop for a printer into two for printer + fax or whatever. you probably have made a bad end. the trick is to hold the wires in one hand never letting go pushing it into the connector then crimping while pushing the wires in. when you let go it is very easy for the wires to move that fraction of a inch to not connect.

Since I’m running 1GbE over ancient Cat5 cables, yeah you’ve got a problem with the wire/connectors.

Look at the connector carefully and make sure that all 8 wires reach the end of the connector, and that all contacts are pressed down far enough to make contact with the wires. It’s easy to accidentally have slightly longer and shorter wires. Before pushing the wires in, trim them to equal length using pliers and then when inserting them push all wires in evenly. Do a final check before crimping.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.