10G Switch Recommendations?

Hello,

I’m looking to upgrade my current Asus xg-u2008 10g switch. This one had some issues but did the job but I can’t use it anymore.

I’m looking for a 10g switch for a home network, preferably 8-12 RJ45 10g ports and one that supports IEEE 802.3ad.

I checked out the Buffalo BS-XP2012 but this one is unmanaged and no 802.3ad support. I would like to get a switch that will last a while at this price.

The options I found that seems to have what I want are the NETGEAR XS712Tv2, XS708T or the XS716T.

Does anyone has experience with those switches above?
Any recommendations with similar features for around 800$? Used is fine.
I would like it to be quiet too as this is for a home network. I never used a rack mounted switch but I hope those are not obnoxiously loud.
Thanks.

To my knowledge, the Netgear switches are the only ones that satisfy your requirements under $1k.

If you can accommodate more SFP+ than RJ45, then the Ubiquiti XG-16 is a good (cheaper) choice.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

Using SFP+ might be bit difficult, the cable adapters for 10g cost quite a lot from glancing around the net but I could probably plug in the old asus switch for the 1g devices and use the 10g for the nas.
Having extra rj45 ports would definitely be nice to have in the long run for a home network so might lean towards the NETGEAR switch but I’ll keep the Ubiquiti XG-16 in mind as an option!

Use DAC cables for short runs and for longer runs, buy the transceivers from macroreer. Not too expensive.

1 Like

I’ve used fs.com, there’s plenty of options out there that make SFP+ type networking not as expensive as it used to be.

If you don’t need many 10G ports and are not stuck with 10G copper, Mikrotik has a switch with 4xSFP+ and rest 1G copper for ~$400.

2 Likes

Hm but seems like either way I would need to get a couple of SFP NICs since the transceivers to rj45 costs 180$ for one so I can’t get a couple of them.
The cost would most likely be more than the 400$ saved on the ubiquity switch in the long run.
If I could find a cheap intel X710-DA2 nic then that would be enough along the 4x rj45 ubiquity ports for now.

MikroTik seems to be releasing a new passively-cooled 10Gbe switch CRS309-1G-8S+PC which was mentioned by someone else along the current 1G 400$ one that you also mentioned and damn it’s tempting since it would be as quiet as it can be.

Mikrotik makes one that’s $65, but in general, they’re not recommended. SFP+ is inherently underpowered for 10GBase-T (RJ45). I have one running and it’s quirky. For instance, jumbo frames just don’t work.

Why that model? There are cheaper ones out there.

1 Like

Mikrotik already has a passively cooled 16 port SFP+ , the CRS317.

But it’s not good (expensive) if you need a lot of 10G copper ports. 10G RJ45 transceivers are at least $65 (again, Mikrotik S+RJ10) but those don’t support jumbo frames (could be a deal breaker for some folks) and like all SFP+ to RJ45 they have limited distance. If you really need a lot of 10G copper ports, Netgear is where I’d go.

On the other hand, for a handful, just NAS + Router + one or two workstations on 10G and everything else on 1G, I’d go with CRS328-24P-4S+RM (4xSFP+ , 24 1G RJ45, 500W POE, semi-passive) or even just a US-48/ES-48-LITE that have 2xSFP+.

1 Like