10G SFP+ NIC power consumption

Hey L1,
I used to order x520-DA2 for my servers, as they were quite well supported without any majors glitches for our servers and the price was decent at the time.
Recently I realized that Mellanox ConnectX-3 were less power hungry. (cf : Lowest Power Consumption NIC | ServeTheHome Forums ) .
I see that ConnectX-4 are also quite cheap on ebay nowadays, but couldn’t find any power consumption/usage specs. Anyone has some figures and/or other suggestions ? Are x710 of any interests ?

Cheers from .CH, and welcome to 2024.

1 Like

ConnectX 4 Lx draws around ~10W according to specs.

https://docs.nvidia.com/networking/display/cx4lxen/specifications#src-9340627_safe-id-U3BlY2lmaWNhdGlvbnMtTUNYNDEyMUEtQUNBVC9NQ1g0MTIxQS1BQ0hUL01DWDQxMjFBLUFDU1QvTUNYNDEyMUEtQUNVVFNwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z

1 Like

Ah, I missed that one, thanks for googling it for me :slight_smile: . It’s unclear if it’s measured with SFP28 or SFP+, I’d think that the latter is less power hungry.

Anyway, I’ve got an idea of what it looks like now. Thanks !

Should be tested with SFP28, but the power draw for the 10GbE version (4121-XCAT) Isn’t too far off as well so I’d say it doesn’t really matter. All the MCX4121 variants (10/25GbE) use the same ASIC so I’d say the power draw isn’t too different for copper DAC.

Don’t sweat it, it’s a bit difficult to land there even when I know it exists, had to massage the search terms a little…

1 Like