10G LAN on LGA 2011?

Hello folks. I recently upgraded my internet and noticed that the new router/modem has a 10Gb port built in. My FreeNAS server has been running on regular gigabit since forever and I thought now would be the right time to upgrade to 10Gb.

I will be upgrading the software on my NAS to TrueNAS Core soon, and I need a pair of compatible 10Gb PCIe adapters as well as a 2/4 port 10Gb router but I’m not sure if the newer stuff is supported on my old LGA2011 board.

My NAS is using a SUPERMICRO X9SRA motherboard and my main rig has a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero that already has a built in 2.5Gb port, which I want to upgrade to 10Gb.

I’m a complete novice when it comes to 10Gb stuff so I need recommendations for three items: The network adapters, the cables, and the router. Thanks folks!

With SFP+ and room to grow, Mikrotik CRS309-1G-8S+IN

3 Likes

Microtik definitely do seem to be doing great things for 10G networking at low cost.

As long as you have a PCIe slot open [x8], it shouldn’t be an issue [to attach 10GbE]

That will definitely work, if you’re on a budget an Intel X520 based card will work as well … 70-something on ebay vs 120-something for the X540

I have the same generation Motherboard, and use an X520 based card, I am also running the router in a VM inside truenas (so no physical router for me …) with multiple VLANs passed through and can saturate the 20Gbps link from inside the router VM when routing traffic (adding firewall filtering drops that to 17Gbps…)

Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 14.04.47

2 Likes

+1 for these switches, I got two recently and they tick all the boxes for me - full line-rate, 20Gbit link aggregation working fine on some Linux machines, silent, cheap (relatively). Working great with X550-T2 and Mellanox ConnectX 4 NICs, mix of FS and Mikrotik SFP+ modules.

1 Like

+1 as well, I am using a CRS312-4C+8XG with SwOs (Mikrotik has a dual stack and the device can work as an L3 router, but perfromance is so-so at 10Gbit speeds, and the setup gets complicated very very quickly …)

1 Like

Thank you kind folks and sorry for the delayed response. Been re-doing my NAS.

I’m thinking of getting this switch:

The trouble is that I don’t know how to connect that to my main router through the 10Gb port on my router since my router only has RJ45 ports and that MikroTik router only has SFP+ ports.

Silly me, seems like I need something like this:

Would cat 6 cables provide stable 10Gb or should I go with cat 7 cables?

I figured I go with RJ45 10g base adapters to reduce cost. From these PCIe network adapters, which one would you guys choose and which ones should I avoid?

The TP-Link and the QNAP use an Aquantia chipset, the trendnet uses a Marvell …
In general, for truenas deployments, the suggested brands for 10Gbit are any Intel/Mellanox and Broadcom for some chipsets … they will be better supported/less prone to glitches

The most important question when choosing whether to go 10BaseT or fiber+transceivers or direct attached cables are:

• How far are the components you need to connect
  • If they are not in the same rack, can you run additional (small ) fiber cables

In order of increasing costs, your option with the mikrotik router for connectivity would be:

Depending on how many things you plan to hook up at 10Gbit something like a CRS312-4C+8XG (600USD) makes more sense than spending 60USD a pop for 10BaseT transceivers, but nothing beats the switch you linked for a 3-4 ports use case …

1 Like

PS, even if you go with cat5/6 cable, this option is in my opinion better than any of the pure 10baset cards you linked both in terms of cost and driver support, unless as we said you need to run windows 11 …

1 Like

Okay, thank you.

I won’t be expanding the network in the future, it’s just my main router, my NAS, and my main PC, and no windows 11 for me.

1 Like

So happy that everything worked out. Performance is as well as I expected.

2 Likes

cat 6 should be fine for home 10 gig distances.

cat7 is shielded and a total pain in the ass to work with.